ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇ

CHAPTER NINE ɪɴᴠɪᴛᴀᴛɪᴏɴ

CHAPTER NINE
ɪɴᴠɪᴛᴀᴛɪᴏɴ

For most of the early morning, I'd debated staying home.

Only a few days after the accident in the car park, Bella insisted she was still going into school despite the fact she'd been told numerous times she needed to rest. Already she was the centre of attention, well wishes being sent to her behalf through our table at lunch by people who had never even spoke to her. Tyler wasn't in either, and he'd gotten off severely worse, thanks to Bella's saviour.

Even after a few days in which things had settled down, I'd still not been able to get over the fact that if Edward hadn't jumped in time, Bella could have been crushed. My hesitation scarred me- plaguing me with guilt throughout the long days and nights.

And even though I'd ran, I'd been seconds too late. And Edward had seen me moments after I'd appeared.

There was no possible way he could think I was normal now.

For the rest of the week, I'd agreed to let Bella give me a lift to and from school, on the terms that she definitely did not want to walk in on her own- especially since I'd told her of the attention she'd been getting. We both prayed it would die down once she attended classes again: her because she hated the numerous eyes on her, and I, because I knew that as long as the buzz still remained, Edward would forever be reminded of the fact that'd I'd been there.

"Are you sure you want to go in today?"

I sat in the passenger seat, legs tucked beneath me, bag resting against the dashboard. Her car smelled of oil and bleach. Bella scoffed.

"If I spend even another hour in that house, I think I'll go crazy," she shook her head, whispering, "I think I already am... I can't stop thinking about it."

"I suppose school is a good distraction. Though I'd happily take all the time off I could get."

Bella laughed. "Did I miss anything?"

"Besides the obsession that's arisen with this accident?" I said. Bella scowled. "No not much. We've moved on to Jane Austen in English."

She frowned noticeably.

We drove the rest of the way to school in silence, with me watching the road ahead as she turned corners cautiously. I was surprised she even felt comfortable getting in her truck, given that she'd almost been killed by a van days ago, but she seemed content enough, hands loosely wrapped around the wheel.

I watched out of the window, trees rolling steadily by from each angle, a green haze covering my eyes until we met the greyness of the car park. Her truck stuttered smoothly to a stop. Bella held no hesitation as she hopped from the seat and met me at the other side to walk up to the main building where we had English. Bella knew she would get greeting from the minute she stepped into the school corridors, and yet she was obviously overwhelmed by the time we stepped into our first classroom, eyes heavy with the annoyance of well wishes.