ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғɪᴠᴇ

CHAPTER FIVEᴀ ᴡᴏʀᴛʜʏ ʙᴇᴛʀᴀʏᴀʟ

CHAPTER FIVE
ᴀ ᴡᴏʀᴛʜʏ ʙᴇᴛʀᴀʏᴀʟ

The boundary that separated the Cullen's territory and the Pack's land spread far out in front of us. We could sense it a mile before we even came to step upon that line, toes edging dangerously. The trees above swayed rhythmically, quickly, like the ghost of a heartbeat, like that of the one we should have each been hearing.

The air seemed to shift, after a slight moment and yet the trees seemed to still, as if comfortable in the presence that came to greet us. Perhaps it had been our own company that gave such a sensation prior to his arrival- the trees shivering in their towering figures, against the cold unnaturalness that this side of the line was unused to.

Sam stood a few feet away, head bowed, revealing his distrust with the covered stare of his dark eyes. His wolf form was somehow familiar- a darker brown than Jacob's coat, bordering on a black. He was larger too, bulkier in the front and extending into strong powerful legs and a thinner tail.

It was in Alice's calmness, her unmoving figure, that her intentions were revealed. She'd provoked Sam on purpose. She wanted to speak to him. The wolf seemed to sense this, and disappeared for a moment, before returning to stand before us, toned chest gleaming with sweat, but the hardened stare on his face was unchanging.

"What business do you have crossing the boundary?"

"We wish to cross to the sea," Alice said, her voice floating across the air as easy as birdsong.

Sam crossed his arms over his chest, chin tilting upwards.

"You can go around."

Alice smiled up at him. "We want our trail to be lost," she said, and as his head twitched to the side, revealing interest, she added, "We would also ask you to deliver a message for us after we've left."

He watched her for a moment, muscles appearing as if they were ready to be torn out of shape to fit the mould of the animal he hid, readying to pounce after her whenever she fled.

"What are you hiding?"

"I'm afraid that is something that won't be told until the time is right."

There was something unassuming about Alice. She was small and slight, and even those that knew she was a vampire with powerful gifts were prone to underestimating her. The wolves had the added confidence of knowing she could not see past their presence, but even without that comfort of promised safety, they thought little of her, when in fact she could fight as well as any of the other Cullens.

After a moment of searching her face, sparing one glance to me at her side, Sam accepted with a nod and shifted back, letting Alice and I take the lead so he could trail at our backs. The wolves were trusting enough to only send Sam, the leader of the remainder of that pack, but not comfortable enough to dissolve the invisible barriers altogether.