ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғᴏᴜʀᴛᴇᴇɴ

CHAPTER FOURTEENᴇᴅᴡᴀʀᴅ

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
ᴇᴅᴡᴀʀᴅ

Once again, Charlie was absent when Alice pulled up to Bella's home in Carlisle's sleek Mercedes. All morning, she'd been somewhat tense, her eyes hazing over every half an hour or so. I thought it was her visions, at first, but she didn't dip in and out of timed reality like I'd seen her do before. This was different. This was controlled. She was thinking about the reason she'd come to see me and Bella in the first place.

Bella grinned as she opened the doors for us, widening it so we could slide through without touching. There was something behind her beaming face that made me turn away. Something like, I know what you've realised, I know what you're thinking.

"Would you like to do something today?" Bella asked as she led us toward the kitchen.

"I can't see us doing anything," Alice said, with her shoulders still tensed. "But the day is still young."

We waited to decide what to do while Bella ate breakfast, a meagre bowl of porridge, and a glass of orange juice. Alice watched her curiously, her head tilting slightly, her nose stuffing the air. The light fell prettily onto the back of her hair, highlighting only the ends of her hair. As I looked at her, I was reminded of the fact that Alice knew nothing of being human- not personally, at least. I couldn't imagine it, not remembering or even knowing the taste of cake or fruit or having the memory of drinking a glass of water after a long day in the sun.

Vampires got hungry, but it wasn't the same. The insatiable need for blood was more of a need than a want, for most. But for humans, the act of cooking and baking, of waiting until the perfect moment for the food to be ready, it was a delicacy that I liked to remember.

It was then, that the doorbell rang, making Alice straighten and her eyes widen.

"Bella. I have a fairly good guess who that might be and I think we'd better step out," Alice said, head snapping toward us.

"You guess? What does that mean?" I asked. Alice didn't just guess.

"If this is a repeat of my egregious lapse in foresight yesterday, then it's most likely Jacob Black or one of his... friends," she said.

"You can't see werewolves?"

"So it would seem."

She seemed uncomfortable, and I didn't blame her. Alice's visions were her first line of defence. Not being able to see the wolf pack must have set her into a mode of panic. I knew how scared I'd felt when I'd first seen the large wolf in the forest, and then again how I felt while I was surrounded by the pack, even if they hadn't shifted. If I could see something before it would happen, I would be sick at the thought of losing that advantage too.

"You don't have to go anywhere. You were both here first," Bella said, standing in front of the door before we moved.

"Trust me. It wouldn't be a good idea to have Jacob Black in a room with us together," Alice said.