ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sɪx

CHAPTER SIXsᴀᴛᴇʟʟɪᴛᴇ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ

CHAPTER SIX
sᴀᴛᴇʟʟɪᴛᴇ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ

With curled hair a compliment to Rosalie's skills with styling and my old jacket dug out from my suitcase, the day started off well. I'd forgotten all about Bella and her dispute. That too was thanks to Alice and Rose, who'd practically drilled the thoughts from my head. The sun was bright and smiling, Alice's skin glowing beneath its generous rays as she led me to her new car which was parked at the edge of the forest driveway, somehow untouched by the low hanging branches, as if the trees themselves were scared of the owner's wrath.

"It looks exactly like the one in Italy," I said, climbing into the passenger seat, with Alice already sat beside me.

And it did look the exact same. A bright yellow Porsche, streaked with black detailing and sleek, tinted windows. The insides were heated, the chairs inclined at the perfect angle.

"That's because it is," Alice said, a grin forming on her face. "Well, not the exact same one, but Edward got me the same model and extras and everything."

"What convinced him to buy you a sports car?"

"Well it's not technically his money so he didn't buy me it per se," she said. Her face switched and she paused for a moment. "Bella is coming over for a slumber party tonight. Esme said she wants to make Italian for her. I said you'd help, is that alright?"

She said the last two lines quickly as if she didn't want to give me time to think.

"Yeah, of course."

"Good because it would break Esme's heart if you'd backed out of it now," Alice said. "She likes you you know? She loves having you around."

"I'm glad. I loving being around."

As we rounded the winding roads that lead further from the outskirts of Forks, sliding past the string of territory that bordered the reservation, Alice began to speed up, turning around corners like we'd topple over.

"Alice! Slow down!"

She laughed loudly. "What? Scared you're going to die for a second time?"

"I'm not used to it," I said, forcing my shoulders to relax as she kept her foot down on the accelerator.

"You choose the wrong times to be reckless," she said, no doubt referencing the alteration with James.

She looked so wild, the curled edges of her hair fluttering against her neck as the wind howled in channels through the open windows. I leaned over, trusting her senses and her control, taking her chin between my fingers.