ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇ

CHAPTER NINEɴᴇᴡʙᴏʀɴ

CHAPTER NINE
ɴᴇᴡʙᴏʀɴ

The sun was playing a dangerous game as we left school. During the day, the skies had merged from a brooding black to a lightening grey, allowing a few rays of watery light to blanket parts of the car park. As always, Edward was parked beneath the large oak tree next to the science block, sheltered from the sky on most angles, which we could head to safely.

As Alice chattered with Bella up in front, a strange sensation took my body in its grasp. I hadn't thought about the past week- I hadn't let myself. William's return and my attempted getaway had been blocked out at all coast, residing in the darkest parts of my brain. But I knew Alice still thought about it. For her, and in extension, Edward, it was fresh in their minds, tainting every recent thought they had of me.

It was difficult, trying to move on as if nothing had happened. The Cullens could never know the true extent of my circumstances. Alice was the exception to that rule, of course. She'd seen every part of me, known every pathway that had lead me to her home, which now, undoubtedly, was also home to me too. And, for that reason, I made it work, dragging myself along each day, as if William wasn't likely to be stalking each movement I now made.

I watched her silently as she walked backwards with the grace of a ballerina, talking animatedly to Bella. By the look on Edward's face, I knew exactly what was coming up too.

"I have foreseen..." Alice began, moving her arms in a fluid motion. Her shoulders dropped as she glanced at her brother. "Fine. Edward is making me do this. But I did foresee that you would be difficult if I surprised you."

"In English?" Bella asked, mentioning the vision she'd obviously had in third period.

"Don't be a baby about this. No tantrums," Alice said, pointing her finger.

"Now I'm scared."

"You should be," I said, increasing my pace to slide in between Bella and Alice, leaving Edward to take up the front.

"Hey Elide," Bella said, turning fully toward me. "How was Maths?"

"As boring as ever."

"That's what happens when you're basically Einstein!" She joked, smiling brightly.

I raised a brow, sending a look toward Alice, who automatically tucked into my side. Ever since Alice had talked to her, or snapped at her more like, Bella had been sickeningly nice, going out of her way to do so. It was so unlike her, but I supposed I appreciated the gesture.

"Anyway," Alice said quickly, drawing out the word. "So you're- I mean we're- having a graduation party. It's no big thing. Nothing to freak out over. But I saw that you would freak out if I tried to make it a surprise party. And Edward said I had to tell you. But it's nothing. Promise."

"Alice you're idea of nothing is completely opposite to pretty much everyone's," I said, laughing, not missing the smirk that had formed on Edward's lips at my words.