~ 𝓂𝑜𝓋𝒾𝑒𝓈 ~

Kiera and I pushed aside the large red door, squeezing side by side out of the old doorframe. I blinked when the sun's rays reached my eyes, adjusting from the barley-working fixtures of the ancient school building. I nearly jumped out for my skin when Alex jumps out where he was waiting by the door next to Zach. My eyes go wide and I slap him on the shoulder, "Alex! I swear I will get you one day!" I laugh at his wiggling eyebrows as drag him and Kiera out of the stream of students trying to move past us. "Hey guys. Could ya'll be any slower?" "Zach. You should know by now that it was defiantly Sam's fault. I am innocent." Zach chuckles and we start our way towards the elementary school where Mom works. We walk down the sidewalk picking up our conversation from this morning about which pizza topping is superior. Zach and I are confirmed mushroom supporters while Alex and Kiera fight for pepperoni. 

Alex adjusted the grey bookbag slung over his right shoulder and whispered, loud enough for Zach and I to hear, "See Kiera, this is why we acknowledge those two as psychotic and SAM LOOK OUT!" A boy in a black T-shirt riding a skull-covered skateboard crashes into me and we both fall to the warm concrete of the sidewalk. Zach and Kiera scramble to help me up while Alex does the same for the boarder. "Next time, consider watching where you're going!" Alex commands. "Dang Sam! Your nose!" Kiera worriedly exclaims. I wave her off and take a look at my burning elbow. Blood is gushing out my nostrils and running down my face. I hold my neck out to avoid getting blood stains on on my white, short-sleeve blouse. Alex takes one glance at the blood spilling onto my chin and the grass we've stepped upon to avoid other students trying to get home and quickly gives me a fat wad of tissues he had buried at the bottom of the outer pocket of his bag. I thank him as Zach herds us down the remaining four blocks to Mom's school. 

By the time we get there, the tissues are beginning to show a reed hue.. Luckily, we still have five minutes before the students are released. We walked into the front office of the elementary school and approached the desk. Ms.Wath, the extraordinary cat lady who acts like the fun aunt and mans the front desk, looks up, her smile fading as she catches sight of my bloodied bandages. "Oh dear! You all wait here. I'll take this one to the nurse." Ms.Wath then whisks me out of the room before any of us could protest. 

Twenty minutes later, I found myself siting upon a cushioned chair picking at the crinkly paper. The bleeding had finally stopped and the pitter-patter of feet has receded from the hallway. I discard the gauze into the waste bin beside the small plastic chair I was sitting in. The woman with a honeyed voice speaks up from across the room "Alright that'll be it. You are free to go." "Thank you." I quickly reply. "No problem hun." She smiles, then returns to organizing the bandages. 

I walk out and head to my Mom's classroom. I turn into the fifth grade hallway. It is littered with pops of color and inspirational quotes. "Goodbye Ms.Johnson!" a high pitched voice exclaims before a small girl wearing a pink dress rushes out of the open door near the middle of the hall. She scurries past me and I make my way to the classroom with the open door. I walk in and immediately Alex, Kiera, and Zach jump up and surround me, all of them asking if I'm all right. "Geez guys! I'm suffocating!" I push my way out of their cage and go to hug Mom. "Darling, are you alright? I heard you had quite a fall." I take her in her appearance. She has her brown hair swept into a neat bun and a shirt that compliments her plaid pants. "Mom I swear I'm fine! Just a bloody nose." She puts her arms up, framing her face, in defeat and gathers her things. "You guys ready? We are going for pizza and then a movie. It's going to be a late night so I got your parent's permission for a sleepover." Mom then ushers us out the door without waiting for a reply. 

We made it to the pizza shop at around 5:30 because of traffic and arrive at the theatre close to an hour and a half later. "Ooh Wonder Woman" Kiera shouts. "No way Doolittle!" I fire back. " And listen to you gush over the talking animals for the next month? No way!" Zach scoffs. "Alright final decision maker right here" Mom remarks. We wait in anticipation for her answer until she relents under Kiera's gaze, "Alright Wonder Woman because Kiera is scary and I also do not want to hear about talking animals for the next month!" We all make our way inside laughing and I playfully swat at Mom's shoulder.

----------------------------------

Almost three hours later, we are making our way back to the car prepared to make the half hour ride homeward. We are  remarking at the absolute marvel that is that film. Even I am forced to admit, that movie was pretty darn good. I open the car door and we all pile in. During the car ride, Mom turns on the radio and we sing along to the popular tunes. At home, we all put out night wear, Zach and Kiera grabbing their overnight bags they keep in the hallway closet for impromptu sleepovers. We yawn our goodnights as Alex and Zach slump into their beds in Alex's room and Kiera and I in mine. I slowly drift to sleep.