Chapter 7: The Caper pt 3

"I thought you worked for vile?"

"See that's the problem mate, I do." He began pacing back and forth in the tiny space. The closet, was dark without even a single light. All the supplies had been sloppily propped up on the wall.

My hands shook violently as the noise from the explosion haunted my brain. It felt as if the glass shards that narrowly missed me were jabbed in my arm unable to get out. The tiny space felt even smaller, my lungs swelled trying to take in all the air.

I stepped back still trying to find some semblance of reason in the situation. I tried not to let Graham see how messed up I was. My thoughts rush in and out of my mind as my mumbled voice said,
"Then.. then how did you not know this was going to happen?"

"Apparently the plan changed... they didn't feel like telling me until last minute on my communicator." He sighed leaning back. I wondered how he could possibly be so calm. Was vile always like this?

"Look.. I'm.. I'm sorry I got you into this mess. You can hate me all you want.. for being a thief.. for going to vile.. for getting you stuck here.."

"I don't hate you Graham. I-I barely know you."

~

Graham pov

Her words stung like a knife,
"Y-you're shaking. Here let me-" I tried relaxing her arm but she seemed scared by my touch so I pulled away, "I'm sorry mate."

"It's okay" she looked me right in the eyes, I could feel my chest beat faster, "Let's just try to figure some way out of here."

A soft smile crossed her lips,
"Okay."

"There should be a back exit somewhere down the hallway. I can get you out there before I have to go back with vile."

"You.. your going back?"

"It's my life mate, I don't have a choice."

"Right... I forgot." Her eyes shifted.

"Now vile doesn't stay in a place for long we should be good to-"

Suddenly the closet door burst open,
"So this is where you were hiding Crackle? Janitor closet? Get some creativity."

Tigress crossed her arms, of course she would be the one to bloody show up. She was in a bad mood, but then again she was always in a bad mood. She definitely wouldn't let getting caught with (Y/N) off the hook. At least with Le Chévre or El Topo they would be distracted by eachother.

"G'day to you to mate I guess you can say the cats out of the bag." I tried to cover (Y/N), maybe I could just pretend I went in here to distract the security by hiding?

"Who's that?" She turned her eye to a shaking (Y/N), "Really Crackle? Picking up girls mid caper? I would expect more from you."

I turned to (Y/N)

"Oh her? Well, I ahh- I couldn't stop myself I suppose. Time to ahh... go to the helicopter mate I'm sure its waiting for us."

"We can't just leave her here idiot. She knows to much, we gotta bring her in and ya know take her to Bellum." Her voice hushed, "God you're slacking today Crackle."

"Erase her memory? Is ahh.. is that really necessary? I mean umm.." I shot a panicked glance to (Y/N).

"Wait! Gra-Crackle just tell her that I'm.. I'm a vile recruit!"

"A recruit? Why didn't you just say that? Come on let's go, we've already wasted enough time."

~

(Y/N) pov

Within the span of a few moments I found myself rushing through the theatre still with my evening dress on following a pair of thieves. I tried to look calm, but the moment I saw that Tigress lady I basically knew our original plan was ruined.

I tried to speed up to talk to Graham, maybe I could still figure out someway out of this? I can't go through with this? My career, my life, everything I couldn't leave it all behind.

I tried to signal to Graham to distract Tigress, then I can turn a corner and get to safety.

Seven years of improv classes save me now.

I tapped on his shoulders, he quickly turned around walking backwards to keep up with Tigress.

I made a vague cat-like shape with my hands followed by a point to him followed by mouthing, "Distract her."

"Trigress wait!" He screamed causing her to turn around.

"What? We're nearly there, this isn't time to fool around!"

"There's... there's a dress in the prop room. (Y/N) was telling me about it, it's antique.. used in a old production."

"We're not here to go thrifting," she reached the fire escape, opening the hatch "The helicopter is waiting."

"It's worth hundreds! I mean thousands..I want to bring it back to vile so the faculty will like me." I thought up on the spot.

"Thousands huh? Then I'll get it. I've been meaning to get a little extra credit lately," she smirked, "You two wait in the helicopter tell them I'll be up soon."

Just as I thought I was good to go 2 more Vile operatives looked out from the helicopter,
"Come on Crackle your slowing us down mon amie." One said in a heavy French accent.

"Whose la amiga?" The other added spotting me.

Suddenly, Tigress came running back,
"Recruit, now come on cops are almost here get in the helicopter now!"

The world paused for a moment as I climbed up the latter to the helicopter. Maybe it was because of the soft rain pouring down my neck, or the harsh wind coming from the helicopters blades. Maybe even Graham behind me looking at me with this pitiful sense of apology. Or maybe the last look at the threatre, still fuming from the explosion, but I knew my old life had ended. And it was all because of him.

When you accidentally join a criminal organization? Lol this story is so relatable... jk jk but thanks for reading I had a ton of fun with this one!!! I'll try to update soon fambos!!