Chapter 15: The Change

"Where is he?"

That was the only thing ringing in my head for days. It had been nearly a week since my fight with Graham. I hasn't seen him since. My heart paced up and down every hallway of vile, every second just wondering. All the other operatives seemed to be careful when talking to me. I knew someone was hiding something. My skin felt cold and tuff- but my mind was even worse. I just felt this-fire in my stomach like something was burning me alive and I didn't even know what. I just needed answers. This was my life now-and he was the only person I felt comfortable with.

I didn't know whether my anger caused him to go away or-no I don't want to think about that,
"I'm sure he's just on a lot of capers- back to back and didn't check back in at vile."

But then again I wasn't at vile 24/7 either.
The South Africa mission had gone and passed, again I was unable to escape. And just like that more capers came and went, some alone, some with others, but none with him.

The pit in my stomach grew as each day passed. I stayed up staring at ceilings until the sun felt sorry. I trained until my muscles ached just to distract myself. I was awake but not alive and it was sick.

Until one late night when I finally had enough. I sat up in my cot staring across at my barren little room. Tigress snored a orchestra next to me. I carefully picked up my steps to the floor as the moonlight guided me out.

The hallway was silent, the shadows of passersby melted into the walls from which they once came. Memories flashed by like chalk drawn along the street,

"Woah there kitty, let's play nice with the newbie." A familiar Australian accent joined my side.

"This isn't the time Crackle! I think she could  be a spy or.. or-"

"You have been taking too many catnaps mate, when I found Dove here on the caper I brought up she should join vile." Graham gave me a quick wink, "Isn't that right?"

"Yes, I had no clue what vile even was. But after he told me how much money I could make- I knew it would be more lucrative than a stage actress."

"Dammit." I choked. He was right there. I could still see him now, a smug smile painted across tan Australian skin. Tigress looked so mad-but knew she couldn't get to me with him there! I nearly laughed just at the thought.

"He wasn't smiling when you yelled at him. That's why he is gone, you. "

Guilt began to eat away at me. That couldn't be why could it? He probably doesn't even care that much anyway.

Suddenly I heard a sound. My heart sped up.

"Coach Brunt," I chripped. Her silhouette crept up the other side of the hallway. She looked exhausted with bags sculpted under her eyes.

She turned around and gave me a hard look over,
"Why are you up this late sugarcube? You have a caper soon if I recall. You need your sleep."

"I was looking for- something."

She came in closer. My heart was going at a marathon now,
"Why are you really up? I can tell a liar when I see one."

I stared down at the cold nothing of the floor.

"It's okay, just talk to me."

"Graham- I mean Crackle- where is he? I haven't seen him at headquarters in days is he alright? I'm worried. It just doesn't seem like him to disappear. I went out to look for- anything that could be a clue. I'm sorry I shouldn't have- I just needed answers."

The silence was thick at the pity of her sank onto me.

"You're like me. You care about people when you shouldn't," she looked off, "you really want to know?"

"Yes." I bit my tongue.

"He ran into a bit of trouble out in France-" she stopped her eyes drifting away. I stood blank as her words pieced together in my head.

"What happened? Please," I touched my hand to her arm, "I want to know. I need to know. "

Her eyes melted like honey trying to soften up. The bitter cold of her arm traveled up my skin. I felt my stomach grow even tighter.

"He ran into an old friend. It didn't go as we planned. I'm afraid he-he won't be coming back. "

"No-" I trembled back, "no that can't be. We never even made up. I can't do this alone."

"I'm sorry sugarcube."

"Who?" The grief burned down my cheek "Who did this?"

"A problem vile has been trying to get rid of, Carmen Sandiego."

Author's note- sorry this took forever y'all!! Okay so yes Graham isn't dead he's just lost his memory BUT for the purposes of the plot rn (Y/N) thinks he is. Get ready for badass revenge driven (Y/N) soon y'all. This chapter is a bit shorter than normal that's just kinda how it worked out....

Xoxo Goldie