Chapter 17: The Restless

My heart was like a ticking bomb in my chest. Sneaking out of vile- the closest thing to home I had left- what was I thinking? My head was spinning out of control, each step I took was like dancing through a minefield.

"I need to go back. I can't do this." I choked, "I'm sorry. I can't let Carmen Sandiego go free."

"Dove- (Y/N) listen to me: you don't know what Vile is hiding-what they've done. Eveeything they told you- everything they told us its all just one big lie. They couldn't care less about us. If you just let me show you- (Y/N) please-"

"Don't call me that."

Hearing my name come from her lips set a strange fire in my soul. Weak and whimpering my past ached to be set free.

"Graham is alive."

"What the hell did you just say?"

"He's alive. And I know we can find him if you just trust me."

"Why do I want to believe you?" The words fell through my tongue like bile. My heart trembled like a child.

"Because you knew there was more to the truth. You never let it go. Just listen to me."

"Please- just-tell me  I have something left besides this damn island." My thoughts left her eyes, unwilling tears betraying the mess that was my mind. Her pale face soured until there was nothing left but a vulnerable girl dragged into crime. Just like me. She placed her hand on my shoulder. It was warm- safe. And I let myself breathe.

"Vile is-"

Before she could mutter another word alarm bells rung from the other side of the hallway. Without thinking I grabbed Tigress' arm and bolted, "explain later, we have to run."

"You trust me?" Tigress gasped fighting to keep up, "I haven't even told you everything yet."

I let my vulnerable state shine through my words,
"I don't know what the hell to think. Just run. I'll figure it out later."

Hand in hand we traversed the grey-blue hallways and lept to the nearest exit. It deposited us in a crutch of sand- long away from the boats or the port.

"I'll buy us time just get a boat!" I yapped. The blonde sprang off as a swarm of guards rushed in. Most of the guards were  perspective vile operatives who seemed to not appreciate the sudden awakening.

Five or so bolted at me like lightning shadows. My feet clutched to the sand for balance but was overwhelmed by two of the bodies. Landing on the ground, I lunged to grab a guards leg and sent them reeling into the sand. The other guard's fist swept my cheek. Trickles of blood ripped through my skin.
"Please I don't want to fight you!"

"Just because you're coach Brunts favorite doesn't mean you're nothing but a rotten traitor!" A girl screamed, "if I had enough time to grab my weapon I'd bring her your sorry dead ass myself."

"Luckily since there's four more of us we can still make that possible." The guard's grin was sadistic.

My mind was a haze. The whole world seemed so still. Why couldn't I move my body? They're going to kill me why don't I care?

Suddenly I heard a motor.
"Ya know I'm sure Dr Bellum wouldn't be very pleased to see all this expensive tech be thrown into the ocean- especially if blame could be put on students~"

I turned to see Tigress atop one of the boats holding several drone looking objects. The guards were struck with a look of terror at the mention of Bellum.

"No wait I'm already failing her class!" The girl panicked as Tigress yeeted the drones as far into the water as she could.

"Guys if we swim we can still save them!"

The guards proceeded to doggy patle into the water. For the first time in a long time I chuckled to myself.

"Well are you coming?" Tigress groaned her hair flowing against the dark sky. I grinned- a light in my darkness.

"Uhh yeah!"

~ minor timeskip

"They erased his memory?" I muttered.

"Just the vile stuff. He probably thinks he's just always been an outstanding citizen or some junk- made up some excuse for why he has a memory gap."

I stared out into the rushing azul waves,
"I can find him- I can help him get his life back."

"But why?" She questioned, "He dragged you into this mess into the first place didn't he? You're free now you have closure and can move on."

"But he's not free. And as long as he doesn't know the truth himself he won't be Tigress."

A small smile crossed her cherry lips, "You can call me Sheena you know. I think we're past vile's identity rule now ."

"Sheena- thank you."

Ok did I throw some shameless Sheena/Tigress x reader in this book because I'm a bisexual disaster? Yes yes I absolutely did. But folks we are on the final stretch for this book!! Sorry updates have been so uneven with timing life is just crazy. Also I hope I didn't give you whiplash with that hella fast pacing but heck I can't write fight scenes to save my life so I definitely cheaped out on it~ thanks so much for reading lovelies!!! Goldie out <3

P.S I swear Graham will actually be jn the next chapter and not mentioned ominously