Chapter 16: The Young

For the next month Carmen Sandiego haunted me. I racked up every mission-every caper I could. Every so often I'd see a glimpse of her signature red coat and every time it sent me over the edge.

I wanted to scream- to let out everything all at once. I wanted to ask her if she knew what she did- when she attacked Graham. More than anything I wanted to ask if he was alive. But I already knew the answer.

After so long- the other vile members seemed to be keeping me away from her on purpose.

"Dove you go secure the gold while I go after the traitor." Tigress spat.

"For the last time let me after her. I can handle it." I bent down to jump but she grabbed my arm.

"No!" She let out a nervous huff, "I mean-"

"What aren't you telling me? What are you hiding?" I shoved her off my arm.

"Nothing! I just think you'd be better- at not going after her."

I looked down the crimson dot had disappeared into the night, "she got away...what the hell is wrong with you? I could have got her. You wasted our time!"

"I didn't mean to! I was protecting you! You don't understand- if you get near her she'd-"

"She'd what? Kill me too? I know what happened to Crackle. Brunt told me everything." Tigress faltered back at my words. Behind her visor her eyes crumbled- as she tried to piece together words. Some part of me was terrified- not because of her but because of me. I had never yelled like that. Tigress stared back at me like I wasn't even human- was she afraid of me?

"You don't understand." Tigress sighed in defeat, "Let's just head back."

Sometimes I pretended things had gone different.

Some nights I painted my mind like a stage, singing until my voice carried me away. Other nights I was laughing with my friends after a long rehearsal. Sometimes I ram along a beach or a lake staring out into the ripples, moonlight coating the back of my hand.

Other times-I thought about Graham. I hadn't even knew him for that long but he stuck with me like an infection. I knew he was gone but my mind seemed convinced otherwise.

And then I woke up. Sometimes on the island, other times in the middle of a shady hotel that vile let us stay in. But no matter where it was I knew it wasn't home. Ever since my last caper I felt even worse.

I was angrier than ever- all the other vile operatives seemed to avoid me and I couldn't sleep to save my life.

I stared up at the cold ceiling and wondered if this was really my life now. Then, I heard a bustling crash burst into my room and I scrambled to pretend to be asleep.

"Wake up. We have a traitor to catch."

Tigress stood above me as my weary eyes flickered open,
"What?"

"You really want to catch Sandiego? Here I'm giving you your chance. "

"But I'm not scheduled for today's caper...Brunt said-"

"I don't care what Brunt said." She snapped, "It's time for you to learn why they've been keeping you away from her."

"What are you talking about?"

"Come on we don't have much time before they realize what I'm doing."

"Why are you doing this? You don't even like me?" I argued. She smirked.

"I'm not doing this for you. Im doing this for myself." She paused, "I finally woke up."

~

Authors note- sorry for the SUPER long wait y'all-- but we're back baby!! As you can probably tell from the mini Tigress redemption arch this story is going to be going further out of the show cannon than previous chapters which could fit into it mostly. So just be ready for that!! Also i think these shorter chapters are going to be the norm since life is a bit insane atm so I apologize in advance. Love you guys and thank you so much for your amazing support and love for this book!!-goldie OwO