Prologue

After slaying the monstrous creature of Delphi, the god Apollo went back to his tasks. He light up the horizon while wandering the land, until he came across a boy playing with an arrow.

"What have you to do with warlike weapons, little boy?" He asked the winged child. "Leave those items to the hands of the worthy."

Apollo, who won the fight with the Python, had become arrogant and bragged about his victory. "Behold! For I have conquered the land and won over the vast serpent who lived in Delphi. Be content with a play stick, little kid, and never imitate nor meddle with my weapons." Apollo laughed before leaving, not even waiting for any word the child has to utter.

The winged child could have let go of the gods' comment, but his airs irk him. "Your arrows may strike a monstrous beast, Apollo, but mine will strike you," he whispered.

Following the direction taken by the god of light, the winged child took his stand on a rock of Parnassus. He drew from his quiver two arrows of a different kind. The first arrow - dust in gold- was sharp and meant to excite love. The other - made of lead- has a blunt tip and is meant to repel love. 

The winged child locked his eyes to the target. He aimed the golden arrow at Apollo while the lead arrow struck the heart of a beautiful river nymph. "Arrows weren't meant to kill. It's crafted to hit the target."

The moment the power of the arrow took effect, the god Apollo fell head over heels with the young maiden. He seeks her love, yet she despise the thought of love.

"Stay," Apollo begged, "daughter of Peneus, I am not here to harm thee. Do not flee as if I was a plague. It is for love I pursue thy name."

The beautiful nymph, detest the thought of marriage. She wanted to stay a virgin and follow the goddess of hunt, Artemis. She has nothing to do with anyone who wishes to be her lover, so she runs away.

"Please, my beloved. Hear me. I am the god of music and the lyre. My arrows never hit a miss but, an arrow more fatal than mine has pierced this heart of mine! I, the god of medicine, had caught a unique sickness, and you're the only one that can be my cure."

The river nymph continued to flee, but she couldn't outrun the god. When Apollo almost reached her, she pleaded to the heavens and asked for help. "Dearest father, titan gods, and creator. I wish to remain unmarried and pure like the goddess Artemis. If death became the price of my plea, I am willing to pay the price." 

As if hearing the words of the nymph, a bright light blinded Apollo, and in an instant, the maiden vanished in thin air.

"Daphne!"