Chapter 4

The kid gasped when she heard Laurel's answer. No woman has rejected a man in courtship, let alone a god. Laurel's rejection spitted it in a heartbeat. She didn't even let the man finish talking when she rejected him.

Laurel has a clear vision of love. It's none existent, but it's clear as the cloudless sky.

"I am not interested," Laurel added. There's no way she would take anyone as a lover, let alone someone she has no idea who. Talk about crazy. Who does he think he is? Her mind wondered.

"It surprises me to hear your response," Apollo replied, still bewildered with the nymph. "But dear nymph, I am here to prove myself to you. I won't harm you. I am capable and strong enough to protect you from any danger."

"As I am," Laurel insisted. One thing she disliked were people who think she's weak and frail. She can fight on her own and protect herself. She doesn't need a man.

"My lady love, I am the lord of Delphi and know all things, present, and future. I am the god of song and the lyre. I am the god of medicine and know the virtues of all healing plants. My wisdom and knowledge are useful to all the sick. I am adored by many."

"So what?" Laurel's arms crossed and one eyebrow raised. Another thing she dislikes is vain and arrogant people. They're the worst in her time, and even in ancient times.

"You're not making it easy for me, my love." There's a strain in Apollo's voice, maintaining a serious face. He was not expecting the pinch to the heart in every word the nymph utter. He indeed came to pursue the nymph's affection, but he never thought she would act fierce and firm. She's different from before and all the other women he encountered.

"Nothing is easy in the world, but I am telling you now. I am not interested in your love. Find someone else." Laurel turned her back on him, deciding to leave the scene. But the god's not taking a no for an answer. He swiftly moved in front of Laurel, surprising her. " Move," Laurel demanded.

"Stay," says Apollo, "daughter of Peneus; I am not a foe. I-"

Laurel didn't care nor listen to his words. She crouches down, picks a handful of stones. In a second, she throws it to the god along with the pottery the kid holds, catching the god by surprise. Laurel then used the opportunity to pull the kid for a run. They headed to the woods in an unbeaten path to avoid getting tracked. It's the best way to escape. She runs away with the kid until they're deep in the forest, where they found a cave to hide.

"We should be fine here," she said breathlessly, looking back at the path they took to check if someone's coming after them.

"Nymph...Laurel." The kid coughs. "Why would you run away from the great god Apollo? If he came to take your hand in marriage, shouldn't you comply?" His face frowned, not understanding Laurel's action. In ancient times, it would have been stupid to reject a man who proposes to a woman. It's a rare chance for them, but Laurel's different. Even if she's in ancient times, Laurel has no plan to wed anyone. Besides, history would change if ever that happened.

"Remind me, who's this Apollo again?" Her lack of knowledge in this era's not helping at all. But how could she even find time to think of a way back if she can't even find time to breathe. She's lucky the kid's someone she can rely on.

Shocked, glued on the kid's face, which Laurel already expected. It's not that she can learn everything in a day or have known about ancient Greece. Religion means nothing to her. It's just how her life was.

If something doesn't put food on her table, she won't bother.

"The god Apollo's one of the Olympian gods. He's the son of Zeus and Leto. He's also the twin of the goddess of the hunt, Artemis."