Chapter 1

In the city bustling and hustling, everything should always be moving. But time was not gold to ordinary people. As the clock hits midnight, the city sleeps. Those who dare to wander the dead streets face the perils of the night.

"Did you find her?'' A rowdy man in all black spat on his comrade. He's pissed of what happened that he couldn't care less if he's loud.

"No, but someone's on her tail," the other man responds with urgency. The men were chasing the person who stole the document that holds the evidence to a case file. But the thief's swift-footed. It's giving them a hard time.

"Hurry up! We have to catch them before dawn." The man nodded and headed west to where the others were chasing.

In the back alley of a building, a young brunette woman heaved a sigh. She's been hiding beside the dumpster with her jacket hood covering her face. She's been patiently waiting for the men in black to fade out of her sight. When the course is clear, she leaps through the night and heads in the opposite direction of her captor.

The brunette woman's one of those people who cruise the night. People like her are infamous in this town, as they rule the night and paint it with the colours of the underworld.

"Here's your goods." She throws the gunny sack on the table. The guy in front of her - the boss - motioned his henchmen to check the bag. It didn't take too long before the loyal follower gave a thumbs-up.

"I'm impressed. You work fast for your age," the boss grinned before handing the money. "Most of my men your age would have gone headfirst and never lived another living daylight. Say, Laurel," he rests his elbow on the table and hands clench in front of his face. "wouldn't you work for me for good?"

The young woman didn't blink and continued to count her money. She couldn't care less about the rubbish the guy in front was spouting. After collecting her reward she faces the guy. She showed a death glare then flips him off before marching out of the room. That's how she ends their deal.

The young woman - Laurel Ambers - has been in the business since she could remember. Her way of life's divided by day and night like most of the people in town. On a regular day, she works full-time as a convenience store employee. And at night, she works as a freelance information broker in the underground businesses. This life was what kept her going through the years, but tonight is her last job. She's leaving this town by daybreak and moving on to another city far from here. She decided to take a long rest from running and maybe... start a new life, who knows. All that matters is to leave this good for nothing town.

The cold breeze of the wintry night brushes on her skin as she continues to pace in the direction of her apartment. She can't wait to go home. The walk home could have been an easy task, but she noticed another footstep not far from her. The step wasn't heavy or loud. But the way it hit the cobblestone and the sense of urgency in every move made it audible to the ears.

The brunette didn't make an unnecessary move that would alert her pursuer. She advances the same way, as usual, yet cautious to the other person's presence. When she reached the dimly lit alley, she blends in the shadows and carefully drops a smokescreen to lose the pursuers. Under normal circumstances, her plan could have worked perfectly. But the person she's dealing with seems to know how she moves. Now, she has no other choice but to run.

A game of hide-and-seek. It's one of the worst games Laurel played, especially when she's the one hiding. But it's unavoidable. If she wants to live, she either runs or fights back. Sadly, fighting people with weapons has never been her forte, so the only option is to keep running.

"She's here!" The loud voice alarmed the other seekers, making them move at top speed. Laurel sped up, thinking she could outrun them. But a shot within a distance shook her. A piercing sting surrounds her left thigh, and the smell of iron rust closely filled her nose. It's a hit. The red pigment now visible on her pants became clearer as she took a step forward. She endures the agonizing feeling and limps her way to any place that could provide cover.