Chapter 10

"Are you really going, Laurel?"

Laurel visited the kid at Peneus falls. She explained what went down with Kronos and the decision she made. Laurel already set her mind on going back, this time no more second-guessing. Although Laurel enjoyed her life in the ancient time, the world she grew accustomed to became her present, and she wanted to continue living in that world.

"I admit, my life there wasn't as good as my life would be here. But my plans and future were never here. The past me already left this land once thinking she could live a better life. I at least wanted to live that life the way she hoped for."

The kid understood Laurel's decision. Even if he wanted to convince her to stay, he doesn't want to hold her back. "It would be sad when you're gone."

Laurel smiled, patting the kid's head. "You'll be fine. If you ever feel lonely or sad, just go here. I'm sure Peneus wouldn't mind. The gods will always be with those who believed, isn't that what you've told me."

"Yeah." The kid looked up to Laurel, seeing her smile brighter than when they first met. It's as if a load has lifted from her shoulder, and now she can move freely. "Pardon me, Laurel. But have you talked to god Apollo?"

The smile vanished in Laurel's face. It's not that the kid's question crossed her mind, but she didn't know how to approach the god. When Laurel revealed her identity, the god told her that she would help and guide her to find her way home. After that conversation, the two never spoke off Daphne, nor had Apollo mentioned her since. But now that Daphne's identity comes to light, would there be any change?

"...If a spark turns into a fire or not would depend on those involved. They're the ones to decide. It's easy to say the words of affection and rejection, but we have minds on our own. We decide how far we go. To pursue or to give up, that's up to the both of you."

Cupid's words flashed through her mind like a clue to a mystery. Indeed, she never wanted to get involved with someone. She never dreamed of getting married or starting a family. And that didn't change. She still felt the same way, but Laurel knew something had changed as well.

***

Music filled the air as tiny lights danced to the surroundings and animals gathered around. Laurel knew without looking who came and started playing the lyre. It has become an unspoken rule for both of them. To spend a relaxing time by the falls of Peneus even without talking has become their comfort.

"I didn't expect you to come today." Even if they don't have any agreement, Laurel thought the god wouldn't show himself again. Since the punishment for the titans, the gods have been busy.

"I couldn't last a day without seeing you, my love."

Laurel smiled. It might be the last time the two of them could talk. Laurel has reached the last hours of her life in ancient times. The moment the day breaks, she'll go back to the world she lived in. And from there, Laurel will once again live her life as a mortal. But unlike last time, she won't travel back in the past when her life comes to an end.

"You don't have to see me off."

"I never wanted to."

Laurel knew. Apollo has been that person - or god - she never expected to lean on. He had been consistent in helping Laurel in her journey to the ancient time. She owes him a lot. But she also knew that she can't give what he's hoping to receive.

"Would it sadden you?"

The god's eyes soften, responding with a sad smile. Laurel could see raw emotions in his eyes, something she hasn't seen nor expected from a god.