Doctor

This is another one of Luke as a psychologist.
Trigger warning - Rape, death

Tuesday
I'd been called to the hospital, a girl was in the trauma unit that they wanted me to speak to.

It wasn't uncommon for them to page me, though it was usually on quieter days where I didn't have many patients. Luckily today was a quiet day.

"Dr Hemmings, thank you for coming so quickly," a man said once I reached the door to the trauma unit.
"No problem at all," I said "Why did you need me?"
"A mother and daughter came in," he started "the mother has been shot and is dead but the daughter is doing CPR on her at the moment and -"
"No need to say anymore," I interrupted, wanting to speed this up so I could get in there. "But do you know her name?" I asked.
"Angelina," he told me sounding slightly confused, probably wondering why I wanted to know that right now.
"Ok, thank you," I said. "Am I good to go in now?" I asked, gesturing to the door.
"Yes, please go ahead," he said and I quickly pushed open the door and entered the room.

I was somewhat shocked by what I saw. A woman was lying on a bed, clearly dead based on the flat lined monitors and lack of movement. But the girl on the bed didn't seem to see that. Tears were streaming down her face whilst she carried out chest compressions on her mother's lifeless body.

There were several doctors in the room, but none of them were trying to get Angelina off the bed and away from her mother.

I walked towards the bed and towards Angelina but she didn't look up. She looked fairly young, I'd guess maybe 12, 13.

"Angelina," I spoke softly. She didn't even look up.

"My name's Luke. I'm here to help you, okay?" Again she didn't even glance in my direction.

"Angelina, sweetheart, we've got to leave your mum now."
"No," she cried, still carrying on with her compressions, tears continuing down her cheeks.

"I know it's hard right now but we can't stay here any longer," I said, keeping my tone soft and gentle as I took a step closer to her.
"Please," she whispered, still not looking up at me, only focused on her compressions.

"Okay, sweetheart," I said as I reached forward and picked her up off the bed. "We're going to go to my office, okay?"
"No, I don't want to leave!" Angelina cried, her grip tightening on her mum's shirt.

"Angelina, I need you to let go," I told her softly. I could see how much this was hurting her and I wanted to get her away from her mother's body as quickly as I could.

She shook her head, not loosening her grip at all.

Supporting her body with one arm, I reached out the other towards her hands that were clutching her mother's shirt.

I rubbed my thumb across her knuckles before gently easing her fists apart until she had let go of the top. Angelina started to cry more.

"Please," she cried as I brought her arms closer to her chest and held her against me. "I don't want to go. Please! Mum!" She yelled, crying even harder as I turned and started to walk towards the door.

She started to hit at my chest as she cried for her mum, desperately trying to get out of my hold and back to her mother.

"Shh, you're alright," I whispered to her as I caught her wrists to stop her from hitting me. I was more worried about her hurting herself than me.

"I want my mum!" Angelina cried, still struggling to get out of my arms. I felt terrible for what had just happened to her; no kid should ever have to go through that.