Chapter 73 Family and other foes

Torcan looked up when a boy strode into the dining room, a large dog on his heels. He smiled. In the days he had been in Auros now, he had seen the dog follow Lucius almost everywhere. A gift from Vara and Iason, Ariane had informed him, though Ariane seemed a little apprehensive about the animal. Torcan wasn't sure if it was because of the animal itself or the fact that it had been a present from Vara, but he decided not to ask. It had been years since she had found out about her husband's feelings for his childhood friend. A lot had happened since then. She couldn't possibly still feel resentment towards her sister-in-law.

"Prince Lucius," Torcan greeted the boy, "what lessons were on today's agenda?"

Lucius shifted a little awkwardly. He was still learning the proper way of addressing people according to their ranks and status. Torcan, however, was a foreign emissary that served an allied king. But he was also related, or so his mother had explained to him. He no longer held a title, but he had noble blood. It was all so confusing.

He opted for a light bow. "Uncle Torcan," he greeted the man.

Torcan offered him a smile filled with sympathy. He didn't envy the boy his position. "I didn't like lessons either when I as your age," he tried to ease the atmosphere.

Lucius sighed. "I have to learn the history of the noble houses and how they are related to me. That includes my uncle's house in Tirèze." He glanced at Torcan nervously. Salvire was part of that history. He might be young, that didn't mean he didn't know about what was going on. He might not know the full details, but he heard the men talk.

Torcan nodded. "That sounds like a lot to memorize." The ways in which the noble houses were related was quite intricate. Lucius might be second in line for the throne, there were quite a few people that outranked him. At least until he was formally the crown prince. For now, his father still held that title. And of course, being a child meant he still had to respect his elders. His cousin, Aldashir, might be a year younger, but he was already higher in rank because he was already first in line for his father's throne.

"It's boring," Lucius whispered while glancing around cautiously, "but I'm not allowed to complain."

Torcan suppressed a grin. "I won't tell on you," he promised and he bowed politely.

Behind them, king Marcos entered the room and both Torcan and Lucius made a formal bow. Ariane entered next, more quietly.

The king sat down at the table, indicating the others could seat themselves as well, and signaled for the servants to bring the food. He turned to Torcan. "I have sent word to Boncini and reached out to my son. I expect news from him within the next few days. We'll know more then. I'm sure you will feel comfortable to return home after that, with news to share with king Darius."

Torcan inclined his head. "My gratitude, king Marcos. My king will appreciate your swift actions, I'm sure."

The king nodded content. "We will speak more of these matters in private later," he said, "let us eat."

Ariane remained mostly quiet. In settings like these, with only the king, she still felt a little uncomfortable, even after all these years. He was the king, so talking casually with Torcan would only make her feel awkward. Even talking to Loukios would sound forced. There wasn't much she could talk about with him other than discuss his lessons. And that was something she already did every day. And made for only short conversations. She was glad once dinner was over and she could excuse herself.

Ariane returned to her chambers and seated herself at the window. She missed her husband. He had been away for quite some time, and even before when he'd been at court, he'd had little time for her. The moments he'd spent with her were precious and sweet, but she wanted more of him than fleeting kisses and someone that shared her bed. She wanted the simple conversations, eating a meal together, a walk in the garden. She wanted him to watch their children grow up together.