Chapter 57 Time and distance

At the sound of a horse drawing near, Vara looked up from feeding the goats and smiled when recognizing Iason. He had ridden out to escort the cohort king Marcos had dispatched to Lavos and had been gone for three weeks. How she had longed to go with him to finally see a part of Tirèze herself. But married or not, in Tirèze women did not ride out with soldiers, even if those soldiers were from Zeir.

At least she didn't have to deal with lord Izem now. The man was even more condescending than Darius.

Iason gave his horse to one of the stable boys and walked up to Vara. Plucking some straws from her hair, he stooped to kiss her. "All went well," he said, "we ran into a few Balor scouts, but we managed to overcome them. A small group split off from us to investigate, as there must have been a camp nearby. Luckily we had already been joined with by Salvire, so they lent aid."

"Was there a confrontation?" Vara asked concerned.

Iason nodded grimly. "There was. It wasn't pretty, Vara. I am glad you did not come with us. If something had happened to you..."

Vara bit her lip. "Did none get hurt? Are you alright?"

He cupped her cheek. "I am well. Three of the men were injured, one of them being from Salvire. Unfortunately we lost one too."

Vara sighed and locked her arms around him. "I am sorry," she said softly.

He answered her embrace. "I am too. He was a good lad." He sighed and released her. "We crossed back into Lavos and rode on to Amíde where we were met by one of the commanders of the Lavos' troops." Berach was a serious man with a good head on his shoulders. He had led the attack on Balor's stronghold in Fis. He was grateful for the extra men.

"I am glad you are back in one piece," Vara sighed, "tell me, how was our lord Izem?"

Iason grinned. "It wasn't Izem that rode with us. It was his son."

Vara looked at him surprised. "Truly? What is he like?" She couldn't help but be curious about Torcan's younger brother. Word was lord Izem did not let his heir venture out.

"A good lad," Iason said in approval, "polite, perhaps a little reserved, but that may be because he does not have the experience yet to lead men. He is humble enough though to accept advice from those that do. He will make a good leader one day."

"Huh, imagine that," Vara mused, "the heir of Izem being humble."

Iason chuckled. "Apparently he has heard about you from his brother. He inquired after you."

"He did?" Torcan had conveniently failed to mention that in his letters. She glanced at Iason. "What did you tell him?"

"That you would love to visit Tirèze one day. And that I hadn't been fortunate enough to meet his brother, but understood you and he were good friends. Mostly he wondered about Zeir customs that women can inherit. It was youthful curiosity I suppose." He smiled at Vara. "I think you would like him. If he is anything like his brother, then I am sure I will like Torcan too."

Vara smiled back. "I know you will. I hope you will have the chance to meet one day."

Iason nodded. "When things settle down and the roads are safer for travel, we will plan a visit."

"Hmmm," Vara mused, "king Darius might not agree with you. I don't think he will like it if I visit uninvited."

Iason shook his head amused. "I am sure you will find a way around it. You always do. If anything, you will make him believe it was his own idea."

...

Mikos smiled content as he studied the reports from the border patrol. Riding out to Lavos had been good. He had enjoyed the company of men and found new respect for the soldiers that guarded their borders. Finally he had met with the lord from Boncini, lady Vara's husband. He couldn't deny being curious about the woman that had befriended his brother. But even now the situation remained a mystery to him. Women in general were a mystery to him as he hadn't been in contact with many in his life.