Prologue

The sound of her footsteps on the marble floor echoed against the palace walls. But even that didn’t drown out the shouting coming from the room at the far end of the hall.
She watched the servant boy that had come to retrieve her as he flinched at the shouting. He seemed to want to do nothing more than run as far away as possible, rather than escort her to the room in front of them.

“You did well, Aaron,” she said, “you may leave.”
He gave a short bow and his eyes held relief as he hurried back the way they had come.
She didn’t blame him.

There weren’t many people that knew how to deal with the prince’s bad moods and come out unscathed.
She nodded at the servant that stood quietly at the door. When he noticed her arrival, he opened the door for her with a look of pity in his eyes.
She took a deep breath and entered the room.

A goblet of wine splashed against the wall next to her head. She ignored it and took in the scene. A turned over tray of refreshments, drapes that were ripped down, two frightened servants and one raging prince.
She rolled her eyes and motioned for the servants to leave the room.
They gave her grateful looks and rushed out of the room. The servant at the door gave one last glance into the room before closing the door, staying safely on the other side.

She took a deep breath and turned to the young man. “Really Cyrus, do you have to make such a mess of your room? And you frightened the servants.”
Cyrus turned around and threw a hand through his hair in a frustrated gesture. “They irritated me.”
“What did they do then?”
“They’re so submissive. They agree with whatever I say.” He smirked mischievously. “You on the other hand…” He took a step closer, but she narrowed her eyes.
“I’m being serious.”
Cyrus sighed. “Vara…”
“You’re a prince, Cyrus,” Vara said, “you can’t throw a tantrum like a five year old.”
“I’m tired of people deciding my life for me.” He let out a frustrated sigh. “My father wants me to marry.”

Vara stared at him for a moment. She had been expecting this for a while. He was his father’s only child. He was heir to the throne. It was inevitable that he would marry, preferably the daughter of some lord.
“It is to be expected,” she said, “you are your father’s heir. He’ll want to see you wed in order for you to take over the rule of the kingdom.”
“He is already having me take over some of his duties. Can’t he just let me make my own decisions? I’ll marry when I feel like it.”
A smile passed over Vara’s face. “I don’t think it works that way. You’re twenty-one, Cyrus. I’m surprised he waited this long. “
“I don’t want to marry some lordling’s daughter, “ Cyrus answered. He took a step closer and caressed her cheek. “I want to be with you.”
Vara carefully placed a hand over his and pulled it away from her face. “Don’t. “
“You know it’s true,” he whispered in her hair.
“We can’t be together, Cyrus.”
“Only if we decide that,” Cyrus stated.
Vara shook her head. “I’m not high born,” she said, “your father will never let you marry me and I don’t plan on becoming your concubine.”
Cyrus gently stroke her arm. “You would want for nothing. Of course it will be expected of me to produce and heir from my wife, but I won’t love her like I love you.”
”Don’t say that,” Vara pleaded, “you know I won’t disrespect your father like that. He took me in when my parents died. He’s given me everything. He even gave me his name. He promised to arrange for a good marriage for me. That is more than I could ask for. I respect him too much to dishonor him like that. Please don’t’ ask this of me.”
“Then tell me you don’t want to be with me.”
Vara sighed and closed her eyes. If only things were that simple.
“I don’t hear you,” Cyrus whispered in her ear.

The sensation of his breath tickling her ear gave her goose bumps. A small part of her wanted to give in, but the bigger, more sensible part told her it would only hurt her in the long run. And it would feel like she let her parents down.
“Don’t make this any harder,” Vara said softly. She pulled away from him and gave him a sad look.
Quietly she moved around the room and picked up the mess he had made.
Cyrus sighed. “You don’t need to do that. I’ll have the servants clean up.”
“You scared them off with your earlier outburst,” Vara told him, “they’ll be at the other end of the palace by now.”
Cyrus grinned and rubbed his temple. “I have a headache.”
“Then maybe you shouldn’t drink that much, “ Vara stated matter-of-fact.
“It was only one goblet of wine,” Cyrus protested. He sunk down on a nearby recliner and closed his eyes.

Vara sighed and moved over to his couch. When she sat down, Cyrus lifted his head, only to place it in her lap. He sighed content and Vara rolled her eyes, a somewhat amused smile on her face.
She began rubbing his temples in a gentle motion to ease his headache. They had known each other for too long a time for the action to be questionable. Even the servants were used to finding them in close proximity. They might hold their own opinions about it, but they would never voice them out loud.

“Hm,” Cyrus smiled contend, “you always know exactly what I need.” He gently took one of her hands and pressed his lips to her palm.
“Yes,” Vara answered while pulling free from his grip. “That’s why you need to listen to your father.” She nudged him into a sitting position and studied him seriously.
He was a handsome man, had been a handsome boy when they first met. Handsome, with a mischievous smile and eyes. Spoiled yes. Perhaps that was why he was now acting like this, sulking like a child.

She hadn’t come from riches herself. Her father had been overseer in the king’s household.
She smiled at him. “At least then you’ll have something to say about your future wife. If you defy him, he’ll make the decision for you.”
Cyrus shook his head. “When did you become so wise?”
Vara stuck up her nose. “I have always been wise, you just chose to ignore it up til now. “
That coaxed a laugh from him and she smiled sadly. They were not meant to be. She had always known that and she had accepted it.

If only he could accept it too.