Chapter 78 Side by side

Iason and Iolaus were gathered inside the fort with a handful of other soldiers. They needed to come up with a plan of approach.

When Iolaus had left Cyrus a few days ago, the number of Balor warriors nearing the border was about three thousand. Iason and his men had witnessed the stream of warriors still coming, and by now their numbers should have reached five-thousand.

Then there were still the regular enemy attacks closer to the fort. It seemed Balor wasn't stupid and wanted to prevent any help coming from there. Most likely lord Vertus had anticipated their moves and wanted to keep them occupied while Balor attacked Tirèze. Iason didn't have the men available currently to leave the fort and aid prince Cyrus and king Darius.

Iolaus had assured him more help was coming, but even if lord Strega would send his troops out right away, it would take a week at least for them to arrive. Until then, they would have to make due. They couldn't ask for men from lord Horas and Matís. Those men needed to stay stationed along the North border of Zeir. Balor still attacked there too.

"We'll increase our outward attacks," Iason said, "I already sent out scouts to cross the border into Balor. We'll set up an ambush and attack them as they pass instead of waiting for them to come to us."

It was still a risk. The fort didn't have many men to spare.

Iolaus nodded in thought. "Make it sneak attacks. Only smaller groups. Attack and retreat. At least until reinforcements arrive. It may not be much, but anything we can do to buy the others time will be one less enemy to defeat later."

"My lords," one of the captains fell to one knee, "allow me to go. I'll take a handful of men with me and attack anyone that passes us. We will reduce their numbers."

Iason studied him a moment. He was reluctant to send anyone into danger. "Are you certain, Onemus? It is dangerous."

Onemus rose and bowed. "My lord, I am a soldier. It is my duty to protect the kingdom. If I backed away from danger, I would feel ashamed. We will do what it takes to protect our home."

Iason sighed. "Go then. Take ten men. We'll send back up as soon as possible."

Onemus bowed again and disappeared.

Iason turned to Iolaus. "I've sent out a scout to watch the South road. He'll inform us once Strega's men are sighted. Until then I fear there's not much else we can do than stand firm."

Iolaus nodded grimly. It wasn't what he had wanted to hear, but it was what he had expected. And he knew Cyrus knew it too. He sighed. "Let's hope it won't be too late."

...

Darius quietly watched Torcan as the young man paced the tent restlessly. They were alone at the moment as everyone was out following instructions and arranging other matters.

With just the two of them, Darius was comfortable enough to bypass formalities. "What has you worried, Torcan?" he asked kindly.

Torcan sighed quietly and looked at Darius over his shoulder. "I'm sorry, my king. I did not meant to disturb you."

Darius shook his head. "That's not why I asked. Is it Salvire? Are you worried for your brother? There is no need. I gave instructions he is not to be harmed. Mikos is to be put in charge of Salvire. He will be fine." Darius tilted his head. "Do you regret your decision? Do you wish to return to your birth home after all?"

Torcan looked up at him startled. Go back home?

"You know you only need to say the word," Darius stated calmly. Though he would hate to see his friend leave, Torcan had already lost too much during his life, made too many sacrifices. He owed Torcan a lot, and with Torcan in Salvire, Darius wouldn't have to worry about a knife in his back.