Chapter 68 Hunting Grounds

He had ridden out three days in a row to try and find the mysterious rider that had departed from Vertalis, but the road the rider had taken was well travelled so a trail was hard to find. In the end, he had arrived in an area close to the border. Iolaus didn't dare to ride any further. If he ran into the enemy here, he'd be at a disadvantage. So he had returned to Vertalis to relay his findings to Cyrus. They couldn't stay there much longer. Their excuse about the border patrol would run out. It was time to ride on to Horas. The best they could do now was send word back to Auros so the king might start his own investigation.

Chloe hadn't discovered much else either. It wasn't like she could ask any questions openly.

Now they were preparing for their departure.

"Thank you for your hospitality," Cyrus address lord Vertus.

The man bowed. "I hope we were able to reassure you even if just a little, my prince. Our defenses are strong. No Balor scum will pass the border on our watch."

Cyrus didn't show any expression on his face. He trusted the man as far as he could throw him and that wasn't very far. "I am glad to hear that. We need reliable forces to guard our backs. I will return soon to oversee the progress of the reinforcements we discussed."

"Of course, Your Highness," lord Vertus smiled, "we look forward to your next visit."

Cyrus inclined his head and turned his back on the man as he walked out the door with Iolaus flanking him. If this was what it was going to be like with all the lords, he was in for a long and exhausting journey.

Once they were out of hearing, Iolaus leaned towards him. "What do you plan to do with him? He is obviously hiding something."

"I know," Cyrus agreed, "I've instructed one of my men to stay behind in the nearby town. As soon as there is movement again from that rider, or anything else suspicious, he will take action. I can't stay here forever and let myself become blindsided. We need to move on. Lord Horas has been informed we will arrive in two days' time." It was a long ride to Horas. They would need to camp in the fields.

Cyrus mounted his horse and gave instructions to his men. They formed a protective shield around him while Iolaus rode at his side. The threat of an attack was still very real after all.

Iolaus took a dep breath. "Forward!" he called out. And they rode off.

...

It was like she had stepped into another world. She had seen the palace once from a distance and even then she had known how large it was. But actually being inside, the building seemed even larger. And she had only seen a small portion of it yet.

When Torcan had brought her here, she had immediately been directed towards the women's wing. There, the king's wife, Elora, had been waiting for her. A room had been prepared especially for Malati, right next to Elora's own quarters.

Malati had been a little nervous at first. She wasn't sure what was expected of her. But Elora was very welcoming and warm. She had assured the girl that she didn't need to worry. She had been brought her because Mikos' father would object to his son marrying a nomad girl. It wasn't news to Malati. Mikos had even mentioned this himself when he had been at the nomad camp.

Elora told her the king was trying to find proof that lord Izem was disloyal. Certain circumstances indicated he might be guilty of treason. Once this was confirmed, king Darius would remove lord Izem from power and give Salvire to Mikos. Until that time, it would be safer for Malati to stay at the palace. Elora would help her fit in and teach her how to instruct servants and run a household. Elora had told her she could make use of the inner baths in the women's wing whenever she felt like it. The servants had already been instructed that Malati should be treated as a guest.