Chapter 54 Growing Pains

"But why can I not come?" Mikos asked again. His father was fixing his saddle bags before waving over a servant to assist him.

"It is not open for discussion," lord Izem said firmly, "you are staying here. Someone needs to manage affairs here while I am in Auros. You are my heir. It's about time you show it."

Mikos withheld a sigh. His father still would not let him leave the estate. The only exception he had ever made was for the coronation of king Darius. And only because it was mandatory for every lord to present their heir while pledging loyalty. "I would learn more about managing Salvire if I came with you to Zeir," Mikos tried to argue his case, "you will be discussing defenses and strategies. As your heir, should I not bear witness?"

"Nonsense," lord Izem said curtly while mounting his horse. "You can learn about defenses just fine from here. I will be given for at least two weeks. In the meantime, it will be your responsibility to study reports sent in from the border. Handle it well and perhaps next time I'll consider bringing you."

Mikos sighed. He knew better than to hope for that. Still, he was no child anymore. "Father," he began to argue, "I understand why you feel the need to protect me, but just because my brother was taken does not mean..."

Lord Izem whipped his head around and glared at his son. "You have no brother," he hissed, "you are my only son and you will do as you are told. Or perhaps I should reconsider giving you authority in my absence."

Mikos gritted his teeth. "Forgive me, father," he forced out the words, "I was wrong to question you."

Lord Izem turned his horse towards the road. "I will be back in two weeks." He spurred on his horse and left his son watching after him.

...

"You will not go?" Elora asked.

Darius shook his head. "I still have things to settle here. I can't leave when there is still unrest. I already sent word to Auros. Besides, Izem is going. If there is anything we need to hear, then he'll inform us surely."

Elora scrunched her nose. "I do not like that man."

Darius let out a dry chuckle. "Just because he disowned Torcan does not mean he is a bad man. I commend you for your loyalty, but he is still one of my lords. Informing me is in his own best interest too." He cupped her cheek. "But if it makes you feel better, I can ask Byron to send his own report."

Elora nodded content. "That would make me feel better actually."

"Of course it would," Darius stated, "don't worry so much."

"I only wish for things to settle down," Elora sighed, "I don't like our children growing up in times of war."

"Neither do I," Darius answered seriously, "that is why we are fighting so hard to put an end to it."

"I know," Elora said softly. She lightly brushed a hand across her stomach. The child was due any day now. And it appeared to be restless.

Darius took note of it. "You should lie down."

"I'm fine," Elora said, but the exhaustion was clear on her face.

Darius muttered something under his breath about stubborn women and waved Mehr over. "Make sure she rests."

Mehr bowed. "My king."

"Now who worries too much?" Elora teased, "I've carried two children already. I know when to take rest." She kissed his cheek. "But if it will reassure you, I will retreat." She turned to Mehr and nodded at him. "You heard my husband. Please escort me to my chambers. I am in need of rest." With a smile still on her face, she strode down the hall.