Chapter 93 Where you belong

Vara smiled as she read through the letter Torcan had sent. It had been a long time since their last exchange, but now that the war was over, he had picked up on their correspondence.

"Mikos and Malati were finally wed," she told Iason, "we should think of a wedding gift. We owe him a lot."

Iason nodded in agreement and placed his hands on her shoulders. Gently he kissed the top of her head. "What are you thinking about?"

Vara tilted her head in thought. "I'm not sure," she said, "we have already sent them horses last time. But that was to thank Salvire for their aid. This should be something more significant." She looked over her shoulder. "Come help me find an appropriate gift, Lucius," she said to the boy that was sitting at the window. What she had feared had happened. Ever since coming back to Boncini with her and Iason, he had been really withdrawn. He followed instructions, did his chores and attended his lessons, but there was no life behind it. It concerned both her and Iason, but there wasn't much she could do. She would involve him in all kinds of things as much as possible, but she knew the boy needed to figure things out on his own. Once he was ready to open up, she would be there.

Lucius shifted from his seat and walked over to the desk where Vara was seated. There, he sat down on another chair. "Sure," he muttered.

Vara smiled at him encouragingly. She had sent several messages to Cyrus in Vertalis, informing him about Lucius' wellbeing. So far he hadn't responded.

She patted the boy's hair. "Once we've thought of something, why don't you and I go to the village? We'll see how the sales for our wool is faring. And you need new winter boots." The boy was growing so fast. He needed new clothes as soon as he received them. It was hard to keep up with. Vara had already made a tally. She would send the list with the total amount with her next report to Cyrus. She didn't mind providing for Lucius, but hoped it would remind Cyrus he had a son. Perhaps that would draw out a reaction if nothing else would.

"Let me know once you've decided," Iason said, "I need to go speak with Philip about which mares to breed for next season and discuss the foals we are expecting this coming spring."

Vara nodded in understanding. Quite a few mares were carrying. The stables would be full coming year. "He mentioned something about gear that needed repairing."

Iason nodded. "I will take it up with him." He kissed her temple and ruffled Lucius' hair before walking out.

Vara turned to Lucius. "Or would you rather go with Iason and help with the horses?"

Quietly, Lucius shook his head and leaned against Vara.

"Okay," Vara nodded and she wrapped an arm around him protectively. "Let's pick out a present then."

...

Malati walked the halls of Salvire in wonder. She had seen the estate before, but only on the outside. She had often wondered what it would look like within its walls.

Of course she had somewhat of an idea after her time in the palace, but still, Salvire was something different. It was built as a stronghold more than an estate.

King Darius had replaced most of the staff at Salvire, and had sent a few women from the harem with them to serve Malati. They were mostly older women, old enough to be her mother, and were assigned to do the household chores, cooking, and mending clothes.

Malati smiled faintly while she entered the large dining room where her new husband was seated at the table, going over documents with Torcan. She wasn't so nervous anymore being wed. Elora had prepared her well on what to expect, how to steer a household, instruct maids, and comfort her husband. Mikos wasn't a demanding person. He was as new to everything as she was, and seemed to be content to just spend time with her. She hadn't 'met many men that were so awkward around women, none at all in fact, but she found it endearing.