Balcony (1)

◇◇◇

Again, reply with more songs you want to see and think are relevant

BUT HERES pt 1 OF THE CHAPTER I'M SURE THESE TWO PEOPLE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR Jbooks77 HermioneBc3 

◇◇◇

Date: 9th Feb

◇◇◇

Chapter 7

Katniss's POV

A small part of me died last night, when they told me. Two people, we lost. One of them Mitchell.

I never really talked to him before, but I remember him being there for me in District 8, and again now recently. He's become a part of life. And Finnick and Peeta agreed with me.

It felt like a bad thing to talk about to Peeta, considering it was the first time I had talked to him for a couple days; at least it broke the ice though, so neither of us asked for any explanation.

Today, it was weird Mitchell not being there. And Castor as well. Breakfast was cold, nobody talked. The absence of them seemed to soak up conversation, like two black holes. It seemed to soak up everything; conversation, warmth, happiness, safety. We all knew it could have happened to any of us, yet it still shook us hard to the core. Even Gale was silent. Maybe it proves he isn't all evil, that he is human. But we probably all knew that. Nobody's perfect, and some are worse than others. Either way, him having a couple more morals than expected is a good point. And I feel safer now I know that Boggs is making sure he isn't going anywhere near me. 

Still not safe, though. Just safe enough to let my guard down occasionally. That doesn't change the long expanses of anger, feelin numb, feeling worthless. The latter happens a lot.

I constantly find myself biting my nails, chewing on hair. I try to stop, but it keeps happening. My hands are constantly doing something. Probably to distract my brain, because without distraction it wanders to the parts filled with cobwebs and shadows. The part where the dark thoughts live, hiding in the corners.

"You okay?" Hazel asks me. I shrug in response. There is no real response for that right now.

"Katniss, we want to help," Finnick says.

I raise an eyebrow. "What, are you two ganging up on me now?"

Hazel shakes her head. "No, I'm making sure everyone is okay, but to me you are a priority. Johanna is somewhere safe, but you are my patient and my friend."

A small smile forms at the edge of my mouth. "Thanks."

"So," she persists, "how are you?"

I shrug again.

Finnick also persists. "Come on, Katniss. We know there's something bothering you. Not just what happened yesterday, though that is a tragedy."

"Neither of them deserved that," Hazel agrees. "Maybe Gale would have though."

Finnick immediately shoots her a look that is somehow in agreement, surprise and reprimanding her at the same time.

"Yeah," I agree. "I... I don't know, I don't want to think about him right now." They both smile sympathetically. It's weird how people have different expressions for the same emotions, and how we learn to recognise them on individual faces. "There's not really a specific problem," I then say, trying to get off the topic of Gale.