15 | Those left after a conversation are those who know more about the topic

XV

Manga: Lesson 42-44

Anime: Episode 27

RAIN poured over Edo as dark clouds covered the sky.

Shizuku was sitting on the couch inside the Yorozuya office with Kagura and Shinpachi sitting on the couch across from her. Beside the teal haired girl, Okita sat, bringing news that clouded the atmosphere even more.

"The man behind Kidomaru, Doushin, was found with the kids from his place late last night. The kids are now all at the station. They'll be sent to an orphanage soon after the case is over." The brunet officer informed, settling his arms on his knees.

Shizuku pulled her legs up and pressed her calves at the back of her thighs as she rested her chin on top of her knees. After hearing the story from Okita and the Yorozuya, she couldn't help but feel bad that she wasn't there to help them in any way. She knows Kusahara was there, and that he was the one who told Gintoki to stop his investigation. She knows that even the older teal haired male was feeling bad about himself because he couldn't do the same thing that Shizuku couldn't do.

"I'm sorry." Was the only thing that escaped from Shizuku's mouth as she buried her face in between her knees. Silence followed after her statement.

"Man, I hate the rain." Gintoki muttered from his chair behind his table. He kept his back towards the others as he placed his hands behind his head. "It's not a good day to hear a tearjerker story. It's only the start of the chapter, too. Are you planning on making the readers cry this early? Though, I doubt that anyone will, actually."

"Sorry, but I figured that you should know." Okita replied before looking at Shizuku, who was still silently sitting on couch while holding on to her legs, mirroring Kagura's position from in front of her. "I also knew that the younger Kusahara was here, so I thought that she would want to know what happened to the investigation. After all, Hijikata-san warned her that she should just stay put and to not think of what happened. I figured that Hijikata-san wouldn't reprimand her if I was the one who came to tell her everything."

Silence followed.

"Sorry, Gin-chan." Kagura apologized in a small voice, breaking the silence.

"If only we'd struck with him all the way..." Shinpachi continued with his voice trailing off, obviously feeling terrible.

"It's not your fault. He was a killer." Gintoki replied from his chair, keeping his stance of not looking behind him. "I'm sure he was prepared to die that way."

"Sorry that I got you mixed up in this crap, Danna." Okita sighed as he stood, grabbing his sheathed katana from beside him. "Let's leave things where they are. As Kusahara-san said, nothing good will come of getting deeper." He looked beside him and reached out a hand to Shizuku, making the girl looked at the hand extended towards her. She looked up and met Okita's eyes.

"Come on, I'll take you to the station. Kusahara-san's probably waiting for you there." the brunet said, his red eyes slightly softer than usual.

Before Shizuku could reach up to take Okita's hand, the doors suddenly opened, revealing a dozen kids standing there with extremely saddened looks on their faces. They all wordlessly walked inside the Yorozuya office.

"You guys!" Okita slightly raised his voice. "Didn't I tell you not to come here?" Shizuku suddenly stood to pull Okita's clothes from the back before he could tell the kids to go back to the station. The older male looked behind him, his red eyes meeting the younger's pleading olive colored ones. Okita sighed and slightly relaxed. Shizuku's hands never left his clothes.