37 | It's calming, isn't it? Because why not?

XXXVII

Manga: Lesson 17

Anime: Jump Festa 2005

SHIZUKU has been thinking about it for a while.

Why can't the Yorozuya be friends with the Shinsengumi?

Everywhere they went, everywhere they met, whether it was on the streets running after the same person for the same purpose, they will always, always find a way to bicker with each other – and most of the time, the person they're chasing will get away and it will always be up to Kusahara to catch them. No matter the reason may be, they will always get at each other's throats for even the smallest of things for every given moment.

One time, they even tried to fight over who has the best hair color, of all things.

So, to at least make them friends for only an hour or two, Shizuku thought of a brilliant idea.

Not even three minutes into the implementation of her plan, she's already regretting what she had done.

"I told you this was a bad idea." Kusahara whispered to her when the girl sagged down on the mat that she was standing on. "You know better than anyone that they will never get along. It's basically who they are."

"I know." Shizuku sighed heavily as he looked around her. "This was stupid. I was stupid."

There were cherry blossoms that were in full bloom around them as wind blew its petals away from its branches, creating a wonderful show of flowers blowing everywhere. However, irritatingly enough, the calm ambiance of the area was slowly getting destroyed as the chaotic scene of the two groups that Shizuku has been trying hard to reconcile were bickering in the middle of the whole area. By that point, only they were there and everyone else either relocated their mats or disappeared from the area completely.

"Oi, oi, what does the noisy lot want now?" Gintoki asked from his spot with the Yorozuya as he glared up at Hijikata and the Shinsengumi. "Are you guys picking mushrooms?"

"Go find another spot." Hijikata replied, tucking an arm inside his dark kimono as he sneered at the white haired male. "That spot is the Shinsengumi's exclusive flower viewing spot every year. It's even more special this year because Shizuku's with us. We have orders."

"What the hell do you mean you have orders?" Gintoki asked with a raised brow.

"If you forgot, ever since what happened a few chapters ago, we have been given explicit orders to look after Shizuku. She is in our care now and we have to take care of her and it makes us liable for anything happening to her when she's out of the Station. So, get out. She likes this spot and you're in it." Hijikata replied.

"I don't recall allowing Shizuku to be with you lot."

"You're not her father and you are not related to her. Kusahara being in the force makes us responsible and takes her under our protection."

Gintoki scoffed. "I could protect her more effectively than you could ever do. Always did and always will."

"We don't care what you think you can do, Yorozuya. Now, get out." Hijikata sneered.

"But why, though? It's not your spot. Isn't it the same where you ever sit? Or are you the low-life police officer twenty-four hours a day?"

"It's not the same. From that place, you have a special view of the cherry blossom petals. Right, guys?"

"Well, for me, I don't really care. As long as we can drink and be with Shizuku-chan, anywhere is fine." One of the officers answered from behind, not meeting Hijikata's eyes.