Chapter 21- Dropping By

(May 29, 2009)

Stars twinkled outside the bulkhead's reinforced port hole. From where he crouched on his hands and knees, Brody stole glances out the window. Somehow the sight made the ache in his shoulders, back, and knees feel further away. Though isolated by so many lightyears, the stars still danced like they did when he'd watched them at home.

Brody gave a tiny shake of his head. Maybe the last punch from Ripcon had hit him too hard if he was thinking mushy stuff like that. Still . . . Brody risked a longer look outside. 'Diamonds.' He decided with a small nod. They really did look like diamonds.

"Quit daydreaming." A swift kick in the side accompanied the order.

Brody flinched, sending the bucket of water next to him sloshing dangerously. How had he not heard Ripcon enter the room? Brody gripped his scrub brush to hide the trembling in his hands. It never went well when Ripcon came to 'check up' on him. Keeping his head down, Brody worked with renewed fervor on the floor.

"That's more like it."

Brody bit his tongue. Maybe, this once, if he didn't react Ripcon would leave quickly. Ripcon's looming presence didn't move from his position, entirely too close to Brody for his comfort. 'That'd be too much to hope for.' Brody plunged the brush into the bucket and shifted sideways, conveniently further away from Ripcon.

"You missed a spot."

Brody had a split second to brace himself before Ripcon grabbed his collar and jerked him back to the area Ripcon had been standing. Ripcon shoved Brody's face to the floor hard enough for Brody to see non-celestial stars. It took several seconds for Brody to regain his senses. Once he did he had to admit that particular spot was dry, though that might have had more to do with the fact Brody hadn't done that side of the room yet. Not that Ripcon cared.

Ripcon applied more pressure to Brody's head when he didn't get a response. Biting back a yelp, Brody forced himself to go limp. Ripcon would tire of this. Hopefully.

"Do your job."

Another kick, this time to his leg, punctuated the command. Brody grit his teeth to keep from crying out. The pressure of Ripcon's grip suddenly vanished. Brody's head still felt like it was spinning, but he pulled in a deep breath and struggled back to his knees. Keeping his gaze on the floor, Brody clumsily dunked his scrub brush again. He viciously attacked the spot Ripcon had shoved his face into.

"Hmph." Ripcon must not have been able to find anything further to criticize, or didn't want to make Brody less able to complete his tasks, because he stomped out of the room a couple minutes later.

Letting out a quiet sigh of relief, Brody leaned back on his ankles. His knees ached, but this at least gave them a moment's reprieve from holding his weight. Just as suddenly as Ripcon, Odius entered the room. Brody hunched over and hurriedly started scrubbing the floor again.

The back of Brody's neck prickled under the weight of her gaze. Yet, to his surprise, she didn't say anything to him. She did however stay in the room the remaining half hour it took Brody to finish. Ignoring her presence, Brody rocked backward to a sitting position, his arms trembling from the exertion they'd just endured.

"I believe you were told what to complete next once this room was finished."

Brody flinched but nodded. So much for a moment to catch his breath- not that he really expected one. Gingerly he pulled himself to his feet. Odius stood beside the door, much too close for Brody's comfort. But he kept his face expressionless as he walked past her.