Chapter 24- Christmas Contemplations

(December 9, 2009)

Levi grimaced at the garland woven with twinkling lights lining the Westins' front door. It wasn't that he didn't like it, but it served as another reminder that Christmas lurked just around the corner. The last two years he'd been able to ignore it. Living on the streets didn't afford much in the way of thinking about anything beyond survival, which meant when he wasn't scavenging he could pretend Christmas didn't exist. He didn't have that luxury this year.

So instead he stomped inside and closed the door with more force than strictly necessary.

"Levi is that you?" Erin's voice called from the kitchen.

"Yeah." Levi shoved his jacket in the closet. Taking a deep breath he tried to get his irritation in check before Erin saw him. If she or Rick noticed that would lead to questions Levi did not want to get into. Better to bury it down, less to deal with. Face carefully neutral, Levi trailed toward the kitchen.

Erin smiled as he came in. "How was school today?"

"Fine."

Snagging an apple off the counter in passing, Levi plopped his school bag on the table. He dug around and pulled out a homework folder. A zing of relief went through him when Erin didn't ask any further questions. Math problems swam before his eyes. Grumbling, Levi narrowly avoided slamming his head on the table. 'What is wrong with me?'

"Levi? Can you move your stuff to make way for dinner?'

Levi jerked his head up, he hadn't even noticed Erin in the dining room until she'd spoken. A small curl of fear ingrained from two years of hypervigilance tightened within him. His edge was slipping. But did that mean he was letting his guard down? Or maybe just exhaustion taking a new form? Erin cocked her head and Levi jerked into motion.

"Uh, yeah. Sorry." Cramming his papers into his backpack, Levi quickly backpedaled out of the room. He felt Erin's eyes on him even as he retreated.

Tightening his grip on his school bag, Levi took a deep breath. Everything was fine. So why did his heart feel like the Dragon's were hiding around the corner? A sudden rumble ran through the house and Levi jumped. He mentally scolded himself when he recognized the sound a few seconds later; the garage door opening signifying Rick's arrival.

'Get a grip Levi.' Easier said than done. Easier than bearing another of Erin's worried glances. Easier than ignoring other kids at school who ignored him right back. Easier then spending a real Christmas away from his real family.

Thick pressure built in Levi's throat. He swallowed hard against it. Feeling sorry for himself wouldn't help the situation.

Taking another deep breath, Levi dropped his backpack and glanced at the door. A few extra seconds would mean nothing when he sat down at the table. Might as well face the music.

Dragging his feet, Levi made his way back to the dining room. Sure enough Rick stood by the table talking to Erin. They both stopped talking as soon as they saw Levi.

"Hey Levi, how was school today?"

"Fine." Levi shrugged. He sat in his regular seat and tried to ignore the looks being passed over his head.

"What was one new thing you learned?"

Levi tersely answered any questions the rest of the meal. When he finally didn't have anything left on his plate he opened his mouth to ask to be excused but Rick spoke first.

"Levi, did something happen at school today?"

Levi shook his head. "You seem to have a lot on your mind." Levi shifted in his chair, wishing he could have left already. "Is something bothering you?"