Chapter 19- Breaking Point

(February 7, 2009)

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Aiden stared blankly at the white walls in front of him. After living in a cement building covered in dirt for so long the white and sterile environment around him was jarring.

The last two hours were a blur of flashing lights, swirling faces, and stabs of pain as his leg was stitched and bruises attended to. His hand itched but Aiden ignored it. Pulling at the tape attached to the IV only made the machine beep angrily and brought more people into Aiden's already crowded room. His gaze flicked to the room's other occupants. Two men, who hadn't let Aiden out of their sight since his arrival, sat between him and the door.

Aiden suppressed a snort. With his leg aching so badly he couldn't put weight on it, he wasn't going anywhere by himself any time soon. Not to mention the headache that lingered from the punches to his face or how it hurt to breathe deeply. Yeah, he was really running out of here any second.

They had introduced themselves at one point but Aiden didn't pay attention to their names. One of them was a tall black haired man wearing scrubs. Aiden didn't know why he was in here when there were probably a lot of other things he could be doing.

The other blond haired man made Aiden uneasy. He was dressed casually in a polo and khakis, but one thing Aiden remembered from his introduction was that he was a social worker. Aiden hadn't said anything to them yet at that point but, after hearing the second man's occupation, he doubled down on the resolve not to talk to them at all.

That hadn't stopped them from continually trying to talk to him.

"Son," Aiden bristled at the word, "you need to tell us what happened. What's your name? How did you get hurt?"

Continuing to ignore them, Aiden tugged at the tape on his finger that kept a heart rate and oxygen monitor in place. A lovely torture device that beeped obnoxiously in time with his heartbeat. Though, if Aiden zeroed in on the beeping it made it easier to drown out the men's voices- that or focusing on the throbbing in his face and chest.

Eventually they gave up asking him the same questions over and over.

"Are you hungry?" Scrubs asked, breaking Aiden out of the mental hole he'd retreated into. Eyeing him suspiciously, Aiden slowly nodded. "'Kay. The kitchen's closed since it's so late, but we've got stuff for sandwiches on the floor. I'll be back in a minute."

Aiden watched as he left, then his gaze darted back to Polo Shirt. To his surprise the man didn't try to engage in any more conversation, only settled deeper into his chair. Fidgeting with his hands, Aiden turned away and looked out the window. He stared sightlessly outside until footsteps entered the room again. Aiden snapped his head toward the door, but it was only Scrubs with a sandwich and jello cup in his hand.

At the sight of the food Aiden's stomach rumbled loudly. He blushed but neither man commented on it. Instead Scrubs held the items out to Aiden. Aiden hesitated for a moment, waiting to ensure Scrubs didn't snatch it back.

"It's alright kid. They're for you."

Aiden didn't need any further encouragement. In a matter of seconds the food was gone. Hunger still gnawed at Aiden, but after so long on the streets it wasn't a new sensation. Plus Aiden had no intention of talking to the men, even to ask for more food.

A phone rang making Aiden jump. Polo Shirt pulled a cell phone from his pocket. He looked at the screen and shot a glance at Scrubs. "I have to take this. I'll be right back."

'Of course you will.' Aiden thought sourly.

"So are you running because someone's chasing you?"