Chapter 4- New Realities

Brody's hope vanished with the blinding light. Eyes smarting, Brody looked around and gasped aloud. Though he had been in his yard only seconds ago, he was nowhere near home now. Still slung over Ripcon's shoulder he had a sideways view of a control room of some sort.

A machine ran the length of the wall segmented into four linear parts, stopping at waist height. Dials, buttons and levers punctuated the surface. Cords emanated from the machine connected into a screen half the size of the remaining wall. Four smaller screens flanked the large one, two on each side.

As Brody watched, images of the Nexus Prism flashed on screen while the smaller screens ran a continuous scroll of code. Blue and gray checkered humanoids monitored the panels. One turned and Brody's breath hitched. It had no face, just a smooth metal surface. 'Robots, those are robots!'

Brody craned his head to take in more of his surroundings. Behind the controls a gray and yellow dais lay with a large seat allowing for a less obstructed view of the screens. Large vaulted doors were built into the two walls not occupied with equipment. Harsh blue and white lights alternated down the halls. However, a small porthole window to the side of the dais caught Brody's attention.

Though it shouldn't be possible, the blue and green hues of Earth lay far, far below. Much closer was the cold darkness of space, a never-ending void that Brody could feel swallowing him even as he stared at it. 'This can't be right! This has to be some nightmare!' The ache in his side and heart gave a throbbing contradiction.

"Take him to the prison deck. And make sure he knows his life now belongs to me." Galvanax's hard voice cut a deeper notch into Brody's heart.

"As you say sir!" Ripcon turned, still carrying Brody, and left the room.

Deeper and deeper into the ship he descended. The hallways all looked the same. Even if Brody's view wasn't sideways he knew he would still be utterly lost. Silent minutes dragged by, the monotony broken only by the occasional robot giving Ripcon a wide berth. Eventually Ripcon stopped at a door near a flight of stairs.

"Trust me rat bait, this is something I'll enjoy." He dropped Brody to the floor.

Stunned by the fall, he lay still for several seconds as Ripcon opened up the door. A metallic clinking came from inside. Eyes widening in fear, Brody scooted back as Ripcon stalked towards him with two sets of shackles. Ripcon hauled Brody up by his collar and pinned him with his back against the wall. With a sadistic smile Ripcon fastened them securely around Brody's wrists and ankles. Their weight and awkward angle immediately began to pull at Brody's shoulders.

"Move it slave!"

Easier said than done. The fetters cut his stride in half. Tentatively, Brody approached the stairs. He stepped down only to have his foot catch against the chain. A quick grasp from Ripcon saved him from a nasty fall.

"Can you not even walk right?" Ripcon taunted as he dragged Brody down the steps by his arm. Brody felt heat rise in his face.

Ripcon stopped at the bottom of the steps, jerking Brody to face him. "Your dad was a ninja and you haven't even mastered the basics of walking."

Something in Brody snapped. "Leave him out of this!" He shouted, throwing himself at Ripcon.

Unprepared for the attack, Ripcon stumbled back against the stairs. Losing his balance he landed hard on his backside. His hand remained locked on Brody's arm, pulling Brody down and sideways on the metal steps. Pain shot through Brody's right hip and elbow, but he managed to catch himself before hitting his head. The look of fury on Ripcon's face almost made him wish he had.