Chapter 1- Before the Storm

(August 16, 2007)

"Aiden! Psst, Aiden!" An excited whisper cut through Aiden's dreams. He rolled over in his bed to meet the eager brown eyes of his younger brother.

"Brody!" He groaned. Glancing out his bedroom window the first streaks of light were just appearing. "Why did you wake me up so early?"

Brody bounced on his toes unhindered by his brother's grumpiness. "It's dad's birthday, remember?"

"Yes, but it's barely morning. Go back to sleep." Aiden turned toward the wall pulling his pillow over his head. A poke to the ribs brought his attention back to Brody.

"You said you'd help me make him breakfast!" Brody leaned on the mattress, forcing Aiden to look at him.

"Yeah, in the morning. But it's not time to be up yet!"

"Dad gets up early, it won't be a surprise if we wait!"

Groaning in defeat Aiden sat up. "Alright, I'll be down in a second."

Exclaiming in delight, Brody ran out of the room. Aiden could hear his feet thundering down the stairs. 'If dad wasn't awake yet he probably is now.' Though only a year and a half older than his eight-year-old brother, the gap often felt much wider. Following at a much slower pace and rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, Aiden made his way down to the kitchen. In the soft light of the new day he saw Brody rummaging through cupboards near the fridge.

Yawning Aiden stepped beside him. "We can't use the stove, so what did you have in mind?"

Brody pointed to an old toaster sitting on the counter. "I know how to use that, and we can get his cereal and juice ready for him."

Pulling out things as they found them, the counter filled with bread, butter, cereal boxes and dishes. By the time the sun peeked its head through the trees surrounding the property the boys had everything ready how they wanted it- even if the bread had been left in the toaster a little too long.

"Let's take it up to him!" Brody tugged on Aiden's arm.

"Ok, but I'm carrying the bowl and glass, you can take the plate." Remembering the way Brody had run down the stairs earlier he added, "We want to surprise dad, so let's go up like ninja, not elephants."

A determined glint appeared in Brody's eye and he straightened his shoulders. "He won't hear us coming."

Taking their respective dishes the brothers padded softly out of the kitchen and towards the stairs. They set a slow and deliberate pace, both making sure they avoided the creakier of the wooden stairs. Dane's room was at the end of the hall past both boys' rooms. At his door Brody, who had a free hand, gently grasped the knob and turned it quickly enough that the latch wouldn't click but not so fast that the knob rattled. Aiden nodded admiringly at Brody's technique.

Inside Dane's sleeping form could be seen under his blankets. Thanks to his meticulous nature the boys didn't have to watch out for tripping hazards as they crept forward. Aiden suddenly had an idea. Nudging Brody he set the dishes softly on a dresser sitting next to the door. He then glanced toward the still form of their father. A sly grin appeared on Brody's face as he followed suit. Aiden held up his fingers. '3...2...1!'

Fully intending to take the sleeper off guard, the boys weren't prepared when the not-actually-asleep form of their dad rolled out of the way. The boys crashed into the, now unoccupied, mattress with a loud thump.

"Happy Birthday! And man, I thought we had you this time." Brody said as he looked up at their father, who leaned against his wall, chuckling at the sight.