Part 8

"Sunita, do I really have to come? I don't think I will be of any help. Instead, I think our Matron from orphanage, Mrs. Jaya, will be a better candidate to accompany you for something as important as this," exclaimed Asmita, huffing in exasperation.

It delighted Asmita to learn that Amit and Sunita had taken the plunge, and they had spoken with Amit's family in the evening, but her happiness faded away because it meant seeing her ex-boss, the beast who ensured that she would be riddled with nightmares for years to come.

"I totally understand where you are coming from, and I know it would be quite awkward to face your monstrous ex-boss after you resigned from DM Designs, but it has always been the two of us, and I want you to be there by my side. Mrs. Jaya, bless her soul, is not the closest thing to a family that I have. That will always be you, and I want you to be there to boost my morale," pleaded Sunita, taking Asmita's palms in her own as her eyes conveyed her desperation to her friend.

Her cold and clammy hands expressed her nervousness, and Asmita was not the one to abandon her friend in such a state. She thought, or rather prayed, that Daksh Malhotra would not dare to pull any obnoxious stunts in front of his family, jeopardizing his cousin's relationship with her friend. She steeled her nerves and flashed a smile of assurance towards Sunita, although it was a charade.
________________"It's great to meet you finally! My name is Anisha, I am Amit's cousin. I did not know that my brother had such an amazing choice," remarked Anisha, welcoming the anxious friends inside their palatial mansion.

"Hello Anisha! Nice to meet you finally. Amit told me about the pranks you keep pulling on him. Although he doesn't admit it, he loves them," replied Sunita, beaming at her affectionately.

"I hope you will help me with them in the future. And who might this be?" asked Anisha, turning to Asmita with a courteous smile etched over her features as she scanned the other woman as though she had seen her before.

"Asmita! Who would have thought that we would meet again after you resigned?" exclaimed Daksh, making his entry from the shadows and his penetrating and fixated gaze burned through her.

"Resigned? You mean, she worked for you?" questioned Anisha, alternating between an uncomfortable Asmita and predatory Daksh suspiciously.

"Oh, yeah. She was my personal assistant until a week ago, when she resigned," answered Daksh, surprising his sister. She knew that the job security and stability was non-existent when one was employed as Daksh Malhotra's personal assistant, but they had all been terminated after succumbing to Daksh's charms.

It surprised Anisha to note that the woman standing in front of her was the sore exception to the case.

"That's... unfortunate," remarked Anisha, phrasing her words thoughtfully, and guided their guests to the living area and seat them comfortably.

"So, did you find yourself another job?" questioned Daksh, leaning towards Asmita, who was trying to distance herself from him.

"Yes. Singhanias offered me a job when they heard I resigned. And even if I didn't, I would never come back to your company," she answered, whispering the last part defiantly to him.

"We'll see about that," remarked Daksh, settling into the couch beside hers.

The ladies were seated on a couch for three and rose courteously when Rukmini walked into the living room, closely followed by Amit, who seemed to have pleaded till the last minute to not go tough on his ladylove.

"Namaste, Naniji!" greeted Sunita, folding her hands together in obeisance before leaning towards her feet, seeking her blessings.

"Stay happy, my child! My grandson was not wrong when he said that you are an ethereal beauty graced with simplicity," replied Rukmini, affectionately, as she helped the said woman to stand onto her feet. Sunita blushed at the words of appreciation showered by the matriarch and took her seat after Rukmini sat across them.

"My grandson has sung many praises of you, my child. I cannot and will not attempt to test any of them, because I do not want to make you feel questioned about your dignity. However, I don't think that the daughter-in-law of our family should work as a personal assistant, even to her own husband," she exclaimed, surprising everyone seated in the room.

Sunita exchanged looks with Asmita and Amit, who were as surprised as her.

"I am sure that we can promote her or assign one of our new branches to her, Dadi. I have looked at her records, it would not be wrong to say that she deserved it," pointed Daksh, trying to do damage control, unable to look at his brother's distraught face.

"Should she work at all?" demanded Rukmini, arching her eyebrows and had taken everyone by shock.

Pregnant silence followed as no one seemed to have the perfect answer to a question. Sunita cleared her throat as she answered,

"Naniji, I understand you might have felt that I shouldn't be working under anyone. I don't mean to sound dissenting, but I have always wanted to work and make myself a good name. I would love to be known as the daughter-in-law of this family, but I am afraid that I cannot let that be the only identity of mine. As far as promotions are concerned, I want them to be considered only based on my merit and not my association with anyone. At the risk of sounding disrespectful, I cannot stop working and put my education through years of struggle to waste, Naniji. I am sorry."

"Excellent! I must apologize, dear, to have lied when I said I would not be testing you. The question was a test of your integrity and your intentions, which matter more than anything else. So, shall we proceed with the arrangements for the wedding?" prompted Rukmini, shocking everyone in the room for the second time, only that the shock relieved them.

Daksh leaned towards an exasperated Asmita, who had relearned breathing after forgetting it momentarily after the small standoff, and whispered, "Looks like we are soon going to be a family and we are going to see each a lot more now. Good luck with trying to escape me, because I will fail every one of those efforts!" 

_____________________________________________

I liked writing Sunita's part in this update. I hope you liked it!