Part 15

He threw her an 'I give a damn' look after listening to her derisive and bitter statement and held her hand. He instructed the priest, called by Daksh, to preside over the ceremony, to begin the wedding rituals. After completing the initial rituals of the wedding, he took the marital chain to secure around her swan-like neck.

His triumphant smirk deepened as he leaned to tie her to himself, and her racing breaths hitched and her fluttering eyelids had shut themselves to prevent tears from falling out.

He took a pinch of vermilion and smeared her partition with a frenzied enthusiasm and that broke the dam holding her tears as tears flowed out of her eyes like a river. She had struck a deal with the devil himself, and she wondered if it was worth it. Would he keep his end of the bargain or would he place more conditions as he learned her weak point?

Daksh made Asmita bend down to take blessings from the priest and the priest, hesitantly and mechanically, blessed them for a happy married life. Asmita felt certain that it was not possible, at least in her case. Daksh pulled Asmita along with him towards the car. Every step of his had a new jump and pumped him with previously unknown emotions. He made her sit in the passenger seat and drove.

He was over the moon that he claimed what he had desired but, every passing second was making the unknown void in his heart more and more clear. The foreign emotions that had flooded his mind just a few moments ago had washed away the haze of envy and jealousy which were blinding him to her pain. The lifelessness and devastation on her face were piercing like daggers into his heart.

The car screeched to a halt as they arrived at Malhotra Mansion, which was decorated like a bride for Sunita and Amit's musical night. From the barren appearance of the parking lot, Daksh had deduced that the event had ended and only family members were present inside. Panic and the consequences took aback Asmita when their families would learn about the marriage.

Daksh interlaced their fingers and guided her towards the entrance as she remained immersed in her thoughts and rang the doorbell. Anisha opened the door at a breakneck speed, almost as if they were waiting for the bell to be rung. Shock etched into the features of those in the living room as they could see the marital chain resting on her bosom and the vermilion adorning her forehead. Daksh understood their unvoiced questions.

"I know we shocked everyone. But what should we do? We loved each other ever since she worked for me and couldn't wait for all the elaborate rituals you would want to finish. Sorry for the sudden sweet surprise."

Everyone knew they did not have any option other than accepting the decision made by Daksh Malhotra. Besides, it was too late to voice their dissent. It also overjoyed his family that he had settled down and chose Asmita for himself. They had also noticed Daksh stealing glances of Asmita during the preparations and rituals.

Disbelief took Sunita in its embrace as she could not believe her best friend could hide something so important. Delight eventually made its way to her heart that their dream of getting married to the same house had turned into reality.

The Malhotra matriarch ordered Ramesh to prepare for the homecoming ritual for the newlyweds and asked Anisha to take the lead in performing the ritual, being the sister of the groom. They completed the homecoming rituals, and they were about to enter.

"What is this? Bhai? Just because you entered the bond of marriage, it does not mean that you should throw thrilling romance out of the window. Even if you are not in the mood which I doubt, but even then, unfortunately for you, you'll have to fulfill a romantic ritual, being a Malhotra."

"And what is that?" asked Daksh with a smirk.

"If you were romantic, you would have realized the ritual with no one telling you about it!" said Anisha.

He smirked naughtily as realization dawned upon him and immediately picked up Asmita in his arms, which made her gasp in surprise and everyone giggled after seeing her reaction.

"Happy now? Now if you allow me, I have one more ritual to look into. Good night!"

He looked at the angelic and innocent beauty in his arms, which made Asmita squirm in his arms.

She had to hold his neck, unwillingly, because she was sure that she would land on the ground if he did not decrease the pace of his walk. Little did she know, Daksh had no intention of letting her slip through his arms, literally or figuratively.

Asmita had always dreamt of her wedding night with her Prince Charming but the man in whose arms she was, her supposed husband, was not a Prince Charming but Prince of Darkness for her. She felt apprehension, dread and discomfort haunt her and churn her insides as they inched closer to the room, and the endless possibilities were grating on her nerves.

He helped her descend carefully and locked the door behind him. Just in case she tries to run away from him. As he helped her onto her feet, she moved away to maintain distance from him. Much to her surprise, he did not hold her or stop her. Seeing the blank expression on her beautiful face, he said,

"Get changed."

Surprise took over Asmita after listening to his words. That did not feature on her list of possibilities, and she wondered if it was because of a change of heart or it was part of a shrewd plan.

___________________________________________

No comments from my side. Please VOTE and COMMENT!