Epilogue

"I can't believe that it's over! Finally!" remarked Sunita, slumping into the ornate chair and relishing the way the breeze from air-conditioner kissed away the beads of perspiration on her face.

"He is not the only one who can use the Malhotra influence. And we had the truth on our side," said Amit, settling down in the chair beside his wife.

Nothing could wipe the gleeful grin from Asmita's face since the Honorable Judge had declared Daksh Malhotra guilty of blackmail, attempt to rape, battery, assault, and criminal intimidation. Priyanka Ahuja had turned the case in their favor when she had testified on their behalf and ensured Daksh received life imprisonment.

Unfortunately for Daksh, his troubles were far from over. Asmita's case had opened a can of worms and eleven other former female employees had decided to file cases and bring him to justice. His influence and their fear of losing their livelihood had sealed their mouths shut, but with his influence and career secured, the ladies had put their fears to rest.

"It feels like I can finally breathe! He can no longer get to me!" 

She intertwined her fingers with those of her husband and let the grin widen. Over the months, in the absence of the debilitating medications and words of Neerja and with the help of a sense of closure and a new therapist, Asmita's wounds had begun to heal.

After the State Medical Council had declared Neerja guilty of negligence and professional misconduct two months ago, the Council had instated a permanent suspension of Neerja's license.

The Sessions Court had declared the former doctor guilty of negligence, fraud, and causing injury, while awarding her three years of imprisonment and a fine of INR 3,00,000, and unable to withstand the onslaught of remorse, the former doctor parted with her life by consuming surface cleaner. 

Animosity, disgust, and complaints had obscured years of friendship in life and besieged their affections for their yesteryear friend. But her death had demolished the fortress of their disdain and unleashed the tenderness underlying their bond.

Sunita and Amit exchanged looks of contentment to see the battered woman smile. Asmita's fate had cracked the exquisite container of their love, and they could feel the gaps filling as joy returned into Asmita's life.

Vikas covered her fingers with his free palm. "I can't tell how overjoyed I am to see you feel free after years, Asmita. I had given up on seeing the carefree Asmita I had known growing up, and I hope nothing takes it away from you. Ever!"

Vikas cupped her jaw with her left hand and pressed a chaste kiss at her partition. "Okay, lovebirds, let us know when to open our eyes!"

Sunita's playful remark made the couple to pull apart with a tender hue crimson splayed across their cheeks, but their fingers remained intertwined. "Let's order! I'm starving," said Asmita, settling into the chair opposite Sunita, eager to divert the topic.

The suggestive wink from her friend and the naughty smirk of Vikas transported her into her college times. The bosom friends would hangout at a local coffee stall and they would lose track of time amidst relentless teasing by Sunita and their innocent attempts at flirting.

The times had changed, and so did they. But for the first time in almost a decade, the joy and the ability to experience without worries knocking at her mind appeared within reach. The scars would burn, the heart would ache, but there was hope, after years, that it would not permeate her every thought and action.

___________________________________________

A rather short epilogue, but I just wanted to tie up the loose ends and show them moving on from their past while Daksh and Neerja got their dues. Hope you enjoyed it!