Chapter 4: The heart of Nibel

AN: Sorry for the delay of the next chapter, had a busy week. Hopefully, I will be able to make up for it somehow. Regardless, enjoy the next chapter!

The journey out of the caverns was painfully quiet. After Aaron's outburst with Ori, the atmosphere is too stiff to start a conversation. Even Ori couldn't exactly bring herself to look at him, and honestly, Aaron can't blame her.

The journey climbing out of the deep caverns wasn't easy for him, as he has no abilities to climb like Ori does. He does, however, have bundles of vines hanging around in the caverns that he can use to climb out himself out (with Ori's help).

After a few jumps over gaps and ledges (and a few occasional firebolts from Sein to ward off a few of those sludge monsters), they are all in a forested area where everything is withered.

"We should rest" Sein suggests, "We are almost upon the spirit tree, but we should not travel while we are weary."

That is true, some of the residences of the forest will not hesitate to attack an exhausted prey when they have the chance. Finding a comfortable place to rest, they all sat down to take a breather. Aaron sat on one side while Ori sits at the other, with Sein resting on Ori's lap. He wanted to say something to Ori...anything to get rid of this dampening atmosphere that looms among them.

But should he say? Whatever it is, he is unsure.

He does, however, feel a bit hungry. Makes sense, considering it has been hours since he had last eaten, and he skipped breakfast so he can travel with Ori after her resurrection by the spirit tree.

There is no food around and Aaron doubts that any of the trees here have fresh fruit or berries to eat. With that, he decides that using some of his rations from his travel bag couldn't hurt as he searches for something to eat.

Ori watches with interest, as Aaron searches through the contents of his bag. He eventually pulls out a pack of cookies, an unusual choice on Aaron's part when he prepared himself an expedition to find a new home.

He couldn't help it... these chocolate-chip cookies are his favourite kind, and he will be dammed to let them go to waste.

Aaron helps himself to a cookie as Ori tugs at his jeans. He looks down to Ori as she summons out the courage to speak and asks, "Hey Arron...umm...what is that?"

"It is a cookie, one of the snacks we folks make back at home." He said.

"...Can I have one?" Ori asked gently.

He then felt like kicking himself in the head for being so oblivious. Ori is just as hungry as he is, and here he is eating something without thinking about her!

'Some friend I am...' he criticizes himself.

"You didn't even need to ask! Of course, you can have one! Hell! You're probably as hungry as I am!" And he doesn't want her dying again just like back in the field...

He passes her down a cookie as she takes it from his hand and sniffs at it. Finding the smell to be delectable she takes a curious bite before wolfing down the whole cookie.

"Woah! Woah! Slow down! I know you like it, but you can't just go berserk on that thing!" Ori just looks at Aaron with a sheepish smile with a giggle.

He rolls his eyes as he hands her down a second cookie. This time, she takes her time with it, as to savor the moment. He helps himself to a few more cookies before eventually packing what's left back into his bag.

He then turns to see Ori standing on his lap gazing into his eyes.

"...What is it Ori?" he said, becoming a bit unsettled, unsure of Ori's attentions.