Chapter Five

Trevor sat on his bed, staring at the sheet of homework, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. After a moment, he threw himself back to lay down as he groaned. "I don't know how to do this!" he cried. He stared at the ceiling until he got bored and got up to leave the room. He went downstairs and slumped onto the couch.

"Is your homework done?" his mother called.

Trevor made the mistake of pausing before he answered. "Yes," he lied.

"Why the pause?" she asked.

Trevor sighed. "I haven't been able to focus, for the past couple of days."

His mother came into the living room, wiping her hands on a dry cloth. "What do you mean, you haven't been able to focus the past couple of days? You haven't focused since the beginning of the year!"

Trevor turned off the TV, and stood from the couch. "I've been busy getting my other missing assignments done, and I still can't focus on my current ones. I don't understand any of them."

"Well, whose fault is that?"

Trevor didn't say anything, and his mom continued. "So, what are you doing about it?" she asked.

"I have tutoring."

"Oh! Whose the lucky one?"

Trevor paused again. "Samuel Carter..." he muttered.

His mother pursed her lips before smiling. "An old enemy has come to haunt you. What a nice turn of events."

Trevor crossed his arms. "He was never my enemy, mom," he said.

"Then what was he?"

Trevor stayed quiet, and his mother laughed again before continuing. "You bullied the kid when you were younger, now God wants you to learn a particular lesson."

Trevor hung his head. "I'm not sure I like this lesson..." he muttered.

His mother shook her head before going back into the kitchen. "You're not going to, but you're going to learn it either way."

Trevor stood alone in the entry way between the dining room and the living room. He leaned against the frame and groaned. "What am I going to do?" he asked himself.

Later that night, he and his parents ate dinner in silence, and he stared at his food between bites. I got myself into this mess, I have to get myself out of it, he thought.

When he went back to his room to finish his homework, he continued to stare at the sheet of paper, still not understanding a word of what was written on the page for him to figure out before he had to go to bed.

As he lay there, he stared at the ceiling.

Every time he blinked, Samuel flashed in his mind, and his breath hitched on every flash, with Samuel in a different pose. Seeing Samuel's face in his mind sent warmth to his cheeks, and seeing the boy's bright green eyes sent another warmth to his chest, which tightened at every sight.

Trevor covered his face. "Those...stupid eyes!" he hissed, keeping quiet to not wake his parents, regardless of how far their room was from his.

He went back to staring at the ceiling, and he sighed. What the hell am I doing? he thought. There is no way I am falling in love with the guy already...

He turned over onto his side and the moment he closed his eyes, he fell into a deep sleep, filled with dreams of Samuel Carter, his nut brown hair blowing in an invisible breeze, and his green eyes, staring right at him.