Chapter Seven

Trevor rose from his bed and groaned. "Well, today's going to be awkward..." he muttered to himself. He got dressed, took some Pop Tarts, and left the house. He walked to the end of the block and encountered Sam when he went across the street.

They met each other in the eyes, and stayed there for a moment.

Sam's breath hitched when he saw Trevor's light brown eyes. The average light brown changed to a deep hazelnut brown, shining with the light of the clouded sun so Sam could see his own face in them. Sam's chest tightened as his breath hitched.

He hadn't realized how hypnotizing Trevor's eyes were.

When Trevor stared into Sam's eyes, he found himself inside a lush green forest, filled with ferns and other bushes and shrubs, with the trees inside the forest being Evergreens, staying young forever, only getting brighter for the Spring season. With so many dimensions, it was a wonder how he'd never stopped to appreciate the colors morphing into one another as Sam's pupil expanded. The merging colors danced to an unheard song, and Trevor was more than willing to hear the silent voices of the hidden choir.

Trevor lifted his hand, and to make matters worse, he blinked.

He coughed and moved his hand to rub the back of his neck, looking away from Sam altogether. "Hey, look, listen. I'm sorry I scared you all these years, and especially...last night. Is there any way I can make it up to you?"

Sam shook his head, his chestnut brown hair moving with it. "There isn't any way you could. I think I just need to get accustomed to you, is all it is."

Trevor squinted his eyes in suspicion, but shrugged the statement aside. He might be trying to get rid of me still, he thought.

The two started walking together in silence, and Samuel thought he'd waited until Trevor was outside of his line of sight before bolting for the Counselor's office, but Trevor stood at the top of the stairs, watching with guilt as Samuel entered the offices. I knew it, he thought.

Samuel didn't even bother talking to the lady at the front desk before he threw the door open to Mr. Fisher's office.

The man jolted and stared at Samuel in horror. "Samuel Carter! Since when were you taught it was okay to barge into my office like this?!" he cried.

Samuel slammed his hands against Mr. Fisher's desk. "Please, just get him another tutor! He's getting all chummy with me, and I don't want it!"

Mr. Fisher sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Fine. I'll see what I can do, but if I can't find anyone, you're staying. Understand?"

Samuel swallowed and adjusted himself. That was easier than I'd thought, he thought. "Yes, sir," he said. With that he left the office, only to find Trevor standing a few feet away from the door. "Trevor!" he cried.

"You were asking him again, weren't you?"

Samuel sighed. "I told you this last night, I'm--"

Trevor rolled his eyes. "Still scared of me. I know. But, I need your help with everything," he interrupted.

Samuel took a step back. "But you--"

Trevor grabbed Samuel's hands, taking care not to squeeze them too hard. "I know what I used to be, but I want to show you I've changed. Please, just...let me in," he begged.

Samuel's eyes widened, and they locked with Trevor's. Those warm browns were there again, and the oncoming cold from outside didn't bother Sam anymore. Sam's chest tightened as his hands registered the same touch Trevor had given him the night before. He tried to slide his hands out of Trevor's, as a gentle reminder, but Trevor was firm with it, so Sam was forced to give a tiny yank. "I...I'll think about it," he said before he bolted for his first class, trying to prevent Trevor from seeing the result of the warmth in his cheeks.