Chapter Nineteen | The Pledge

"I'm so sorry, Meryna. I was too late," Rorik whispered, guilt gnawing at his chest. The sight of her naked in front of him should have sparked his desire, but her red, swollen eyes spoke to him of fear and pain unimaginable. He took her in with his eyes; she was thinner then when he had last seen her. He noted the bright red mark on her swollen check. Then, his eyes drifted downward to the purple and blue bruises that decorated her throat like a necklace. He wanted to wrap her in his arms and reassure her that no man would ever be able to touch her again. He would never let anyone hurt her as long as he was near. He was determined never to let her out of his sight again.

He climbed over Eadric's corpse and raised his arms to her. Meryna flinched backwards- remembering her nakedness and instinctively wrapped her breasts with her arms crossed. Her face flushed pink with shame.

Rorik reached for a fur splayed out on the bed right behind Meryna. He pulled it around her fragile frame. Meryna gripped the corners and pulled it tight around her bare skin. Despite its warmth she began to shake.

"Rorik," She whimpered, her voice hoarse.

He shushed her.

"It's okay. I'm here to take you home."

"To Scotland?"

Rorik frowned down at her. Her question pricked at his heart.

"Westfold," He answered.

His fingers traced the edges of her face. He gently gripped her chin and forced her teary eyes to meet his.

"I thought of you every second you were out of my reach... I realize now that from the moment I met you Meryna you have had me bewitched.  If you do not want me then say the word and I will go. I set out to secure your freedom. That is enough for me to know that you are safe. But if you want me as deeply as I want you- then come home with me to Westfold. I will make a home for us there. I will make you this promise: my flesh, soul, and sword will belong to you and you alone as long as I live. Marry me."

Meryna gasped at his words. A string of butterflies began to dance around in her belly. For a moment she forgot Eadric and the feel of his hands on her body. She was entranced by the intent stare of Rorik's mesmeric eyes. Everything else faded away.

"I didn't want to want you. You destroyed my home, Rorik. I thought I could never forgive you for that, but then you saved me- on more than just one occasion. Your people are so different from mine. And you... you are so different from your people. I have been battling my heart and mind. They are at odds. But I'm all out of fight."

He inched closer to her face, her chin still firmly held in his hand. Meryna could feel his breath skimming against her lips with each exhale.

"Give in," He urged her. "Say the words, Meryna... I cannot force you to be mine. I know that now."

"I'll marry you, Rorik," She breathed against his mouth right before her lips collided with his.