Chapter Five | Foreign Land

When a hint of green interrupted the surging grey and blue that had stretched before the voyagers for five long days, The Vikings began to thank Thor for allowing them safe travels. Their raucous voices overlapping and mingling together stirred Meryna from where she lay. Relief flooded her at the sight of the dense tree line in the distance.

The relief quickly turned into homesickness as the ship entered the fjord and Meryna was better able to take in the new land surrounding her. She yearned for Scotland with its steep cliffs and rocky, violent coasts. The land here was mostly flat, surrounded by calm shores and lush trees.

The Vikings rowed the ship right onto the sand, much to Meryna's surprise. She had never seen a ship be able to rest on land. Several of the Vikings grabbed at their plunder and splashed into the shallow water, eager to reunite with the women and children who began to empty out of their shelters.

Others worked together to tie the boat down and take down the sails. Meryna sat, unmoving. The sounds of women's voices exclaiming in joy rang in her ears. Rorik was eager to reunite with his mother. He finished the knot he was tying in his hand and began to survey his home. He inhaled the familiar scent of fish and farm animals. It was better than the ocean salt that coated the inside of his nose. It was home.

"Welcome to Westfold," He called out to Meryna over his shoulder as he strode to join his family, who were all taking turns embracing his mother, Ida. She was a woman of fair form, with long chestnut hair that curled loosely over her shoulders and back. Gold necklaces and arm rings showed her station.

In celebration of the return of their men, there would be a great feast that night. Ida took it upon herself to prepare Meryna for the occasion. It was of utmost importance that the foreign girl represented to the guests the success of her sons and husband. Meryna eyed the structure of the large shelter. It was nothing like her castle, which was built with stone. The house was long and rectangular, made with upright timbers. The walls she noticed consisted of woven sticks covered with mud.

Servants crowded the dining tables, placing platters of bread, meats, and cheeses as well as fruit down its length. The clatter of cups and pitchers full of ale filled the background. This place was warm, with a fire pit in the center of the house that radiated heat throughout. It kept her from shivering when Ida stripped the tattered blue dress from her body.

"My son tells me you know our language," Ida said, breaking the silence between them.

"I understand enough," Meryna replied. Ida draped one of her spare beige-hued dresses over Meryna's head. Once the fabric had settled over Meryna's thin frame, Ida began to fasten the overlying apron by its shoulder straps.

"What shall we call you, then? He has not told me your name."

Ida moved to stand in front of Meryna, two golden brooches in her hands. She deftly secured the apron straps in place at Meryna's shoulders as she waited for her to reply.

"It is Meryna."

Ida hummed her approval, musing over the unique name in her mind. With Meryna now dressed in the traditional Nordic way, she was ready to be introduced to the guests that were beginning to arrive. Outside the great hall, Asmund greeted his invited guest Eadric, Earl of Oppland. Their two kingdoms bordered each other, making them neighbors.

Brant stood at Asmund's side, his eyes shifting from the Earl to his wife Gyda. She wore a red cape and adorned her ears and neck with silver. Her hair was twisted into a long braid that traveled down her back. With her icy blue irises, she met Brant's gaze but quickly darted her eyes away. Ida led Meryna to where her husband and sons stood to greet Earl Eadric and his honored guests. Rorik joined Meryna at her side.