Chapter Eleven | Captured

Meryna's eyes narrowed to slits as she watched Rorik swim to the far bank with the poise and agility of a seal. She should have closed her eyes or turned away. Instead, she peered intently while his herculean body emerged from the river's edge. She warred with her curiosity and sense of propriety. Ultimately it was her curiosity that won. She took him in- the entire brawny length of him. Her eyes lingered on the robust mounds of flesh that cupped his spine. Then, immediately she chided herself for looking at his muscular bottom. She was being foolish. This man was a heartless brute. She despised him even if he did ignite a fire deep within her. Didn't she?

Meryna shook her head, clearing it of the protruding thoughts. When he disappeared into the cover of surrounding trees, Meryna waded towards the shore. She took extra precautions while ascending the steep and slippery bank. She retrieved the drying blanket, lying folded on top of the pile of clothing she set on a gnarled tree root. The worn oversized dress and apron were an improvement to the garments she had arrived at Aslaug's domain in. Her previous dress had been in ruins and was fed to the fire. Aslaug insisted on it and loaned Meryna new garments to wear.

She wrapped the blanket around her, letting the soft fabric soak in the excess water on the surface of her skin. The combination of leaves crunching and a fallen branch snapping underfoot sent a shiver down Meryna's spine. She whipped her neck around in each direction, surveying her surroundings. All she saw was a collage of dark greens and deep browns that formed moss-covered trees, shrubs, and fallen leaves lying on top of thick grass.

Her fists tightened around the ends of the blanket, and she wrapped the material closer around her chest. She waited a few more moments, cautiously scanning her surroundings one last time. With a sense of urgency, she let the blanket drop to the forest floor and quickly slid the dress and apron over her head. Then, she freed her hair from the confines of her dress and her damp tendrils sprawled down the length of her back.

The hairs on her arms and the back of her neck rose. Her ears tuned in to the soft hum of breath behind her.

"Rorik," She breathed.

Before she could turn around to confront him, a burly arm snaked over her chest. Simultaneously a foul smelling hand clamped over her mouth. She shrieked in protest but her cry was stifled by the thick palm pressing her lips shut. A scent of sweat, blood and dirt filled her nostrils. Rorik didn't smell like this. He smelled of pine mingled with smoke.

Adrenaline raced through her veins and jolted her heart into a ferocious pace. Meryna grasped at the arm crushing her collarbone with her sharp nails. She scratched wildly at the strangers hairy arm. Her attacker only dragged her deeper into the forest with ease. Her lips throbbed as she forced them open against his palm.

A loud curse filled the forest air as she sunk her teeth into his sweaty flesh. Meryna's attacker instinctively wrenched his hand back, shaking it vigorously at his side. With her mouth now unhindered she released the loudest blood curdling scream her lungs could conjure. A jolt of pain silenced her cries. It rippled from the base of her skull through her whole body. Her vision became blurry around the edges. Warmth enveloped her. Then the darkness washed over her.