Chapter Nine | Sanctuary

A million questions clouded Meryna's mind, but she dared not utter them aloud. She was too shaken to speak. Her Viking companion was concentrated on navigating them through the dense trees and foliage. His teeth were clenched together, his lower cheeks flinching slightly as his jaw tightened. There was a tangible fear of the unknown that hovered over them. The risk of giving away their location should any attackers have followed after them, stifled any desire to speak.

Meryna clutched her arms, fighting a shiver as the frigid Nordic air nipped at the skin her ripped garments exposed. Rorik enveloped his sturdy hands around the subtle dip between the swell of her breast and curve of her hips. A few inches higher and her soft, heavy breast would be in the palm of his hand. His cock throbbed at the thought of her pink, succulent nipples. He wondered what they looked like. Were they tiny pink buds that hardened at the slightest touch or were they large deep red petals that begged to be suckled?

He lifted her, as if she weighed nothing, coaxing a surprised gasp from her rosy, full lips. That sound almost undid him. The thick member, currently draining his blood supply from his head to the region between his thighs, was becoming engorged by the moment. He set her down promptly, after the gnarled, tangle of jutting roots had been averted. He could not lose focus. His priority was to see his exotic beauty safe and sound.

Her cheeks heated, and she was thankful for the shadows that concealed her face. She told herself her reaction was prompted by her captor's impropriety. Nothing more than a natural reaction to unwanted and unseemly male contact. Rorik had set an excruciatingly swift pace and had no plans of slowing down, despite the injury to her foot which was now exacerbated. Meryna was half-dragged limping through the dense and disorienting terrain and half carried by the determined warrior. The night was settling in upon them and the beasts, whose dominion was darkness, would soon be stirred by the moonlight.

Just when Meryna was about to collapse from the burning pain engulfing her lungs, she spied in the distance, a puff of smoke billowing towards the tops of the trees. A burst of renewed energy surged through her.

"We're here," He stated in a husky voice. She shivered, whether, from the dampness of her tattered skirts that soaked into her bones or from his penetrating voice, she did not know. She reasoned it was the former. That was the only explanation she would accept.

The forest retreated around them slightly as they pressed on, making way for the clearing that bordered a small, dilapidated hut. Before Rorik could even raise his curled first to pound on the splintered, rickety door, it swung open. Aslaug's grey eyes peered up into Rorik's knowingly. She said nothing, only shifted to the side, holding the door open for them.

Meryna sighed involuntarily as the heat from the fire enveloped her chilled bones. Rorik's broad shoulders immediately stiffened from the breathy, feminine sound she exuded from her lips. His leather trousers tightened even further. His mind conjured up images of that fiery red hair splayed down her pale backside while she moaned for him. He shook himself, trying to gain control over the lust threatening to take over him. To anyone else, it would look as if his body shuddered due to the sudden change in temperature.

At least that is what he hoped they would think. The humble shelter held meager furnishings, so the fire radiated instantaneously through the confined space. Meryna set her sights for the fire and knelt down in front of its crackling embers. After shutting out the harsh night wind Aslaug wobbled towards her bed. It was a makeshift pallet of layered hay and fur on the barren floor. Her hunched shoulders curved even more as she bent down to reach for the folded fur tucked between her bed and the rumbling walls.

"Here," She said hoarsely as she wobbled back to where Rorik stood, his eyes hazy with warring emotions.
"You'll have to share. It's all I've got."

Meryna's spine stiffened as the meaning of Aslaug's words sank in. Her eyes darted toward Rorik. His broad form standing next to the door, made the tight space of Aslaug's home seem even more cramped. He felt Meryna's heated gaze setting his skin ablaze. He resisted the temptation of locking eyes with her and catching the blush that would surely rival her hair as she realized he'd caught her staring. His focus remained on the elderly volva before him.

Aslaug placed the furs in Rorik's rigid hands, half-frozen from the journey, and offered him a crooked smile.

"We'll talk in the morning. You're exhausted. Warm yourself by the fire and rest."

Moments later Meryna could feel Rorik behind her. She was keenly aware of his sculpted thighs. If she leaned back even slightly she would feel the thick muscles underneath warm skin against her neck. She shook the thought away. She was obviously experiencing shock. Of course, her mind would be running away with itself after the events that happened earlier.

Rorik draped the fur over her shoulders unceremoniously. He took two steps, then lowered himself onto the dusty ground. The fire blazed between them. He would not force her to sleep at his side, despite the overpowering urge to press her supple curves against him. He wanted her to want him. He would have her, yes, but only when she asked for it.

Meryna bit her lip as she watched Rorik turn onto his side, his back to her. Within minutes his breathing evened and she knew he was asleep. She hugged the soft pelt tighter around herself. She was weary, but her eyes would not close. Her body ached and each breath grew heavier than the last. Still, she could find no respite. Something weighed on her mind.

She let the fur drop to the floor and tiptoed, not wanting to disturb the snoring Volva, to where Rorik lied. She knelt down in front of him, her heart pounding in her chest. She tapped him lightly on the shoulder.

"Rorik," She whispered.

His eyes fluttered open. He blinked heavily, confusion evident in his eyes. Then, his eyes widened as he took in the situation.

"I have a question I must ask of you."

When she saw that she had his full attention, and he was not going to inquire further, she continued.

"Why do you keep on saving me?"

His eyes narrowed on her. The dwindling flames from the fire cast shadows on one side of her face. On the other side, an orange glow illuminated her smooth, fair skin. Flecks of gold lined her irises. She was breathtaking. He wanted nothing more than to wrap his hands around her and pull her down into him. A groan formed in his throat. He swallowed hard trying to stifle it.

"Answer me," She demanded, though her voice what but a whisper. Determination crinkled her forehead and drew her eyebrows together. She huffed out a strangled breath. She could've sworn she heard him growl; a low, breathy vibration emitting from clenched lips.

"You stopped your brother from violating me. Then, you challenged your clansmen Urik when he tried to do the same. You slaughtered a pack of wolves who were mere seconds away from mauling me. And even now... you're protecting me now."

"Maybe if you weren't so reckless you wouldn't need to be saved," He snapped.

He saw her flinch. Then, her face contorted in indignation to mask the hurt flooding her chest. He did not wish to wound her, but it was the only way to get her to leave him. He needed her to leave. Otherwise, he would lose control.

He couldn't lose control. Not with her. He could lose himself in the warm flesh of many a wanton, young maiden and devour her whole. In the end, they did not mean anything to him. When the passion faded and his lust was quenched they went their separate ways, acting as if they never shared a moment together at all. Meryna was different, though. She was innocent, most likely a virgin. He did not want to scare and overwhelm her. If he did, she would never be his- this much he knew.

"Well... You need not concern yourself with my welfare anymore."

She rose hastily and returned to the spot where her fur lie sprawled in a heap on the floor. Then, she sank down in front of the fire and pulled the fur up to her chin. A silent tear trickled down her face. She shut her eyes tight and willed sleep to come.

Her scent still lingered in the air around him. He cursed the gods inwardly. The distance now between them did nothing to extinguish the fire that she had stoked inside of him. As she succumbed to sleep, he wrestled with desire. It was going to be a long night.