Chapter Two | War Prize

Meryna struggled against the coarse strands of rope that bound her slender wrists. She winced as the harsh twine gnawed deeper into her raw skin. She almost lost her footing when she was yanked forward abruptly. Meryna's eyes narrowed at the brute whose large fists held the end of the rope. Vidar snuck a peek back at her over his shoulder, a devious grin spreading his lips.

The warriors called back and forth to each other in their native language. The Viking warriors carried gold, jewels, and sacred Catholic relics, while Rorik rode ahead of them all on the back of a sleek steed. His frame blocked the sun from Meryna's eyes, as she looked ahead, wondering where they were taking her.

Her thoughts traveled behind her and she searched for a glimpse of her home. The smoke that billowed past the grey stone towers of her family's castle darkened the sky over the fortress. It appeared like a bad omen, warning others of the death and destruction that lie there.

Her focus shifted as her arms lurched forward. Vidar scowled at her in disapproval. They walked for several miles, until the last fading moments of the sun. The warriors turned their course towards the dense woods. Meryna's aching, mud-caked feet pushed themselves toward the tree line.

She was always told not to venture into the woods. Her mother had warned her of its dangers. At that moment Meryna wondered where her mother was. Pressing her lips together she uttered a silent prayer that her mother was still alive. The warriors began to pick up their pace, dashing past trees with a renewed sense of urgency. Meryna wondered why, but then saw the crackling glow of fire several yards ahead.

As Meryna was led toward one of the blazing fires, she took in her surroundings. Makeshift shelters marked a circular perimeter around the camp. The plunder from her home was set a safe distance from the fire.

Her rope was tugged, and she was pulled inside of a hut. Her stomach churned. Being alone in his presence sent nervous pulses through her blood. Vidar finally faced her. Meryna's eyes darted to the floor, avoiding his intense gaze. He pulled on the rope, one hand after another working its way up its length until she was in front of him. His putrid scent infiltrated her nostrils.

He smelt of burning flesh, mingled with sweat and dirt. Lifting a grimy finger towards Meryna's face, he looped one of her red curls around his fingertips.

"I've never seen a woman touched by fire," He whispered, in a low tone.

"I'm curious as to what lies beneath," He added, his eyes trailing down her body and resting at her most private parts.

Both of their eyes darted to the entrance of the shelter. Meryna was grateful for the interruption. There, a blonde-haired woman stood with the door flap in her fist. Her hair ran down past her waist, braids twisting above her ears and adorning the top of her head. Her blue eyes were accented by a sharp line of coal around the edges. She snarled at Meryna. Then, her eyes quickly narrowed on Vidar, her husband.

She rushed towards him, brows furrowed and nostrils flaring.

"I see you've wasted no time trying to add to your foreign conquests," She spit at him, gesturing to the fiery-haired captive. The comment was like a slap to Meryna's face.

Vidar easily towered over his wife, but she wasn't intimidated by his strength or build.

"Eydis, please," A voice cut through the hut. All eyes turned to the entrance.  Meryna recognized the older man as the one who stopped her from escaping.

"He has enough as is," He mumbled under his breath.

Eydis scoffed at Asmund.

"You would do well to remember who shares your bed," She whispered at Vidar, through clenched teeth. She whipped around, her lengthy hair striking Vidar in the mouth. She paused before passing by her father in law. Then, she dipped her head as Asmund held up the leather drape for her.