Chapter Ten | In the Morning Light

Aslaug rose even before the sun's early morning rays slipped through the cracks in the wood and thatch that made up the structure of her home. She gathered her herbs from her mismatched collection of bowls and jars and squatted in front of the fire. The dwindling fire crackled back to life as the Volva threw a handful of her herbs into the glowing embers. A plume of smoke burst from the flames. Aslaug studied the movements and shapes that formed in the smoke as it wafted toward the opening in the roof. As the untamed elements danced she interpreted their meaning.

A stiff jab roused Rorik from his sleep. He blinked open his heavy eyes only to find Aslaug hovering over him, her eyes narrowed and her wrinkles deepened with determination. His eyes widened and his exhaustion instantly dissipated.

"Wake your bride. The Gods have spoken to me," She croaked. 

Rorik rubbed a hand down his face and through his beard. Looking over his shoulder, through the wisps of smoke, lie Meryna wrapped snuggly in fur. Her shoulder peeked out from beneath the brown bear pelt, her hair spilling recklessly over her shoulders and down her back. It was a sin to wake her, he thought to himself. Rorik's boots scuffled against the ground as he lifted himself onto his feet.

His legs were long and hardened with muscle, granting him a broad gait. He reached her in two strides and bent down in front of her sleeping form. With as much gentleness as he could muster, he lifted a stray curl that had fallen onto her cheek. She sighed sleepily, a sweet exhale of soft breath that brushed against his inner wrist.

His mouth suddenly became dry. His trousers tightened as his manhood strained against the restrictive leather. Her long dark lashes fluttered, revealing her bright eyes. She took him in gradually, her focus quickly shifting to his hand barely grazing her cheek bone.

She pushed herself up from the dirt, her eyes unintentionally leveling with the throbbing bulge of his pants. Her cheeks flooded pink and she dropped her gaze to the dirt. Much to her relief he stood up, releasing the curl he had held hostage with his forefinger. Rorik retrieved his bow and remaining arrows from where he placed them the night before. Moments later, Meryna heard the stubborn, rickety door whine as if in protest against opening. The sound drew her gaze from the dirt. She caught a sliver of Rorik's silhouette before the door slammed in place behind him.

The ground was wet with the fresh morning dew. A light fog clouded his feet as he stalked quietly into the surrounding forest. He itched with the urgency to return back to his village. The uncertainty of what he would find when he returned ate at his mind. He would leave Meryna in the care of Aslaug. The more distance that was between her and Eadric the safer she would be.

Time seemed to fade as Rorik honed in on the sounds of wildlife around him. He studied the ground, searching for tracks that would lead him to his next meal. His stomach rumbled followed by hunger pains. When he had the animal in his sights he nocked his arrow, aimed, and released. The underbrush crunched under his feet as he retrieved his kill. He dipped down and withdrew the bloodstained arrow from his fresh kill and threw the slain rabbit over his broad shoulder.

In that instance, a scream pierced through the red-streaked sky, shattering Rorik's focus. The sound sent his heart hammering ferociously in his chest.

"Meryna," He whispered under his breath.

*~*~*~*

Meryna's whole body shivered as she broke through the water's surface. She swallowed a huge gulp of air. The cool water rippled over her pale skin as she stood up in the waist-deep water. She cupped her hands over her bare breasts, brushing her palms against her hardened nipples. She was grateful no was around to witness her plunge face first into the river. She scowled at the grey stones that freckled the bank of the river. She would take more caution the next time she tred upon them.

She gathered her soaked hair into both hands. Her curls lost their vibrancy from the weight of the water, making her hair temporarily straight. She wrung her wrist tightly, expelling a steady stream of water from her hair. Then, she sank down into the water, which no longer gnawed at her skin, but instead felt crisp and refreshing. Her hands traveled behind her neck, scrubbing the dirt that had caked into her skin.

Her hands traveled down both of her arms, wiping away the bloodstains and grime. Behind her through the trees that lined the river bank stood a breathless Rorik. With his keen sense of hearing he had followed the sound of distress. He was relieved that she was alone, untouched and in no danger. She was simply bathing.

Before he knew what he was doing his hands were raising the hem of his tunic. He pulled the dingy garment over his head then went to work on his trousers. Then, in one swift motion, he dived into the depths of the water. He kicked his legs and paddled his arms, propelling him through the clear blue water and closer to where she was.

When he was close enough he stood and waded through the water. The sunlight shimmered over the blue surface of the river and reflected off of her fair skin. Her red hair was a stark contrast against her skin. It reminded Rorik of the sun and the moon; complete opposites, yet beautifully interconnected.

Meryna let her arms grace the surface of the water as she swirled around in a circle. Then, she saw him and her body froze. Except for the fire that was kindled deep in her belly.

"What are you doing?!"

"Same as you. Bathing," He answered, a crooked grin pulling on one side of his mouth.

She gasped when she suddenly realized how exposed she was. She delved into the water until the only thing the air touched was her neck. He mimicked her, letting the water slowly travel up his sculpted torso and chest.

"The water is clear," He said in a husky voice. "I can still see you."

She gathered her hair with both hands and parted the thick strands over each shoulder. The drenched curls concealed each breast and tapered above the dip in her waist. He moved forward and the water rippled around him. Despite her better judgment her eyes drifted down the muscled length of him. She had never seen so much of a man before.

"That's close enough," She warned, placing her palm on his chest. He looked down with his hooded eyes, then gradually back up to meet hers. She could feel the fierce pounding that lie beneath the thick muscled armor of his warm flesh. A gasp escaped her lips and Rorik shut his eyes tight as he fought to control himself. Her fingers traced the stony contours of his chest then worked their way down his abdomen. He gripped her wrist in his hand. The quickness of his movements coaxing another gasp from her.

"It is not nearly close enough," He groaned through clenched teeth and a flexed jaw. "But I will never touch a maiden against her will. I am not my brother."

"You're touching me now," She argued.

He released her wrist, then turned his back to her. She could still feel the heat from his hand burning through her skin. She watched him as he silently waded through the water, putting distance between them. Before diving back under the blue depths he called over his shoulder to her, "You touched me first."