Chapter 5

Sorry, I'm a little late.

_______

My little sister Anna and I have never been close. Often times, I wonder why the deep rift between us...was it the seven years of age gap or the fact that we had nothing in common?

I pondered upon how I can carry on a decent conversation with the likes of Mew and act like a caring brother with Grace but not with my own little sister. But whatever flashed through the visibly disconcerted mind of mine, I could not come up with a direct answer.

At noon, I reached home with an unlikely urge to have a dialogue with Anna and understand why the disaffection between us was so strong. But she wasn't home yet. Hence, I locked myself up in the room and went through some assignments hoping to recover the grades I've lost from the seminar.

Later, in the evening when I joined my family on the dining table, the atmosphere was somehow tensed with striking anger in my mother's eyes. Confused and slightly terrified, I pulled a chair out and sat down inquisitively asking what was going on. I wanted to have a better evening tonight.

My mother stared at me and simply said, "Mrs. Norbury called". And her response only confused me

"Why would she call here?" I asked, a little worried but didn't receive any response. Instead, my father asked, "Where were you today?", rather sternly.

Realising where this conversation was going, I mumbled 'college' softly.

"So, now you've started lying as well?" Suddenly my mother snapped.

"What are you taking about?"

"Would you like to explain how you miss out on your seminar for the third time and then skip the rest of the class? What is going on with you?" She asked furiously and my jaw-dropped. Mrs. Norburry not only told them about my seminar but even reported about my absence from the classes that were not hers! Was I kept under surveillance ? I couldn't believe my parents were even capable of doing that!

"What, now she reports every little thing to you?" I asked brusquely.

"Everyone in the college does. You think we donate every year to the college for nothing? At least, have some realisation in your head and appreciate what we do for you!"

"What!?" I shuddered at the thought of it and quickly stood up, completely taken aback. The audacity of them! They couldn't have went to that extent, my heart pleaded. "You're donating to the college to spy on me?" 

"Gulf, sit down. That's not what she mean". My father added quickly but it was not going to fix the truth.

"No... Seriously, is it true? You donate money to the college to have people report to you about me?" The more I said aloud, the more it sounded absurd and it enraged me. The authoritarian regime of my parents over me has to stop at some point.

"Gulf, sit down and complete your dinner!"

"No!" I shouted this time as rage of anger filled my head. "You can't treat me like this anymore!"  I said looking at my mother who was still strongly defensive about her action.

"We are just looking out for you" She said rather confidently and it agitated me even more.

"I don't want you to look out for me! Could you just please give me some room to breathe? I'm suffocating here!" I stormed out of the dining room frustrated, feeling my head as huge as a pumpkin.

A peaceful hour in my house was almost impossible. I was an adult who should have moved out from the house by now but instead, I was getting treated like an egg waiting to be hatched.  As bad as it sounds, my parents were the reason why I couldn't grow up. They were the reason why even Anna couldn't respect me.

It only gets more tedious because I should sought-after my friends in situations like this but no matter how angry I am, I had nowhere to go. In that way, my life was dull and boring.

I climbed up my bed, took my phone to sleep the night off when an unknown number's text got displayed on the screen. It read:

Big Brother Gulf... It's me, Grace.

Instantly, I smiled. It occurred to me like an opportunity to socialize myself and meet new people. So, I quickly texted her back asking for a favor.

Sure, what can I do? Much to my luck, she replied quickly.

Grinning, I texted her if I can have her brother's Mew's number. Although, I didn't knew much about Mew, the few conversation exchange we had really warmed up to me. And I started to see a friend in him; although, of course, he was  someone I could easily crush on. But I wasn't desperate about hitting on him- I just wanted a friend.

And soon, my cell phone beeped. And then now, I had Mew's number with me.

Without hesitating any longer, I dialled the number given to me which ended up with no response. But being desperate to get out of the house, I tried for the second time and this time his deep voice responded.

"Hm.. Mew.. It's me, Gulf". I said and waited for his response only to be followed by an awkward silence. "Uhh...are you still there?"

"Hmm.. " He responded clearing his throat. The tone of his voice was indifferent which intimidated me. Clearly, he didn't sound excited about the call and it took away my self-confidence.

"I understand this may come as a surprise but I actually called for a favor".

My mind wandered until he asked me the question, "What kind of a favor?"

"Uhm, firstly, I got your number from  Grace. It's just something came up and I can't stay at home, I was wondering if you'd like to hang out with me tonight. I don't really have anyone so---" My mind upheaved in awkwardness for it felt like I was asking him out on a date. But that clearly wasn't my intention.

"Alright. I'll see you at ten mile"

"Really?" I shrieked. "I mean, you won't mind?"

"Should I?" His confusing response came which was very cute that it flustered my cheeks.

"No" I chuckled. "Not at all. I'll see you at 7"

"Hm"

When our conversation ended, I wrapped my body up with the blanket and started throwing punches with my fist on the air. It kept me on the edge of the seat and I could tell that Mew set my pulse racing. But mainly, because I was excited about having a new friend.

***

I wanted to look good since I was going out for a long time in years,  so I changed myself into more comfortable clothes. At a quarter to 7 I pulled off a white tee, a full sleeve Dillinger maron jacket and my black skinny jeans. I thought I looked okay for any kind of a setting. I ran down and saw my father at the sitting room working on some papers; his eyes tight and worried.

"Dad?" I called him amazed at the fact that he looked like he was going for duty.

"Oh, Gulf... " He looked up at me closing some of his files. "Where are you going this late?"

"Out with some friends. You're about to go to the office even now?"

"Yeah... Something came up. Gulf?" His tone heaved a little. "Please return home early. Your mother will be worried. Also... the street isn't very safe ".

I smiled lovingly at his concerns. If there was one person that understood me well in the family, it was my father. "Don't worry, dad. You take care." I gave him a hug and left grabbing the car key.

***