Chapter 12

Panting, I woke up. It was the same nightmare again but this time even more vivid.  It always began with my father running frantically in fear for his life as I steadily chase him down with a gun on my hands. And at the end, I kept waking up as I shoot a bullet through his chest. My therapist had told me that  perhaps I was dreaming about it constantly because I felt responsible for his unfortunate passing.

I was now a police officer, working hard to follow my father's path and to reach the height he reached. It took me two years of rigorous preparation to get through the national police service examination and with my hard work, I got a rank in the top list. After two years of intense training in the academy, I was finally placed as the Inspector General of Police in the sub-urban area of  Marilyn City, called Mystic Town.

Mystic town was indescribable by words and as its name suggested, it was quite mysterious-  cool, quiet and peaceful because there wasn't a lot of economic activities taking place nor was it densely populated. Approximately, the town had about ten thousand people yet, the crime rate in the town was peaking and most of it was contributed by corrupt police officers and negligence of the administration.

I was transferred here just six months ago as my first assignment yet I have cracked down two underground outfits that were dealing with drug trafficking. And as I successfully cracked those cases, I realised why my father loved what he did; the sense of bringing social justice and protection to the people I served felt liberating and brought honor to the uniform and the badge I wore.

My job became my passion and my life although my mother and my sister thinks I have taken it way too seriously and often warned me that one day, I would face the same consequences as my dad. I didn't find them wrong because I could feel the hostility growing against me amongst the criminals but I realised, I had nothing to lose. Besides, the hate I had for such crime blinded me. Moreover, the frustration that till today my father's killer was roaming freely depressed me. So, every single day, I worked diligently in bringing down the drug Lords and their criminal activities hoping that one day it will lead me to my father's murderer: Mr. Joongcheveevat, who disappeared without a trace ever since our last meeting in my father's funeral.

When Mr. Linwood told me that Suppasit Joongcheveevat was a potential suspect; I felt more responsible for my father's dead. If only, I had not befriended him; if only, I have not revealed my father's profession; if only.... and the list goes on. However, there was also a part or me that felt indebted to Mr. Jongcheveevat because he was the reason I was alive. As long as he existed, I found my will to live because I wanted to catch him and prosecute him for his unforgivable crime. Apart from it, he was also the first person who injected in my mind to pursue what my father has started. His influence in me was weirdly huge despite the hate I carried for him.

Exactly at nine, I arrived at the office wearing my black uniform with pride and honor to work on my latest case about a missing young man, River Gilbert. I was saddened by the fact that the young man had only celebrated his nineteenth birthday and was a college freshmen which meant, he must have high hopes and dreams.

"Good morning Sir" greeted Tian, my subordinate, gloomily. "The parents are already waiting for you". He walked off in a silent brooding manner and I sighed hoping that, I will rescue their son and bring him home safely.

"Inspector". The parents stood up the moment they saw me. I was hurt just by seeing their teary eyes and the anxiety and helplessness plastered across their faces.

"Please, take a seat" I insisted politely as I occupied my seat. "What brings you here today?"

"Our son...we received a call." The mother sobbed out. This was great news because it meant, he was still alive. "Please continue". I added quickly.