Chapter 14

Thank you if you're still here with me. ❤

________________

Holding the gun, I watch Mew walk further and further away from me. Was this man always this heartless? The truth bothered me. Despite the suspicions, somehow, I had my reservation because I wanted to imagine Mew as a better person, the brother of Grace and Yu, the man that took me out for clubbing and the only decent man I knew back in college days.

"Do I really have to shoot myself?" I shouted at him. I didn't understand why he would want me to shoot myself. Is it a test where I'm failing? It's apparent that shooting myself  will expose me of my skills? That Gulf, he knew three years ago was a coward who wouldn't dare to hit a fly. So, does that mean he was simply pushing me away?

"Mew!" I shouted again, this time a bit louder that he stopped walking and turned around. "Do you really hate me that much? Is it because I'm gay?" Bingo! Play the victim card. This is what Gulf he knew would have done exactly three years ago. "I told you my truth at my father's funeral and you simply disappeared. Is this what it is?" I continued and unknowingly tears sprang  out from my eyes.  Even if I had different motive behind my act, the reality hurt and cut deeper than the knife.

"You do talk some nonsense". At last, he said, finally walking towards me and closed our distance. " Why don't you simply say you don't want to shoot yourself?" He smirked pulling me up from the ground. "Get the car ready. We're going home". He asked his men and swang my arms across his shoulder. I was smart, indeed. I couldn't believe that worked.

And that was how I manipulated my father's killer into accepting me into his life. This was just the beginning of a long game.

***

After sometime, I woke up on the seat of a car. The car had stopped and the sky was still dark. Looking around, I noticed Mew was looking at me with his straight, long face- but still as handsome as before. The only change was, he looked older, more manly and more masculine.

"Was it a good rest?" He asked nonchalantly. I must have been so exhausted that I didn't carry out a conversation with Mew but instead doze off. Or did they made me inhale something inside the car?

"Ugh, where are we?" I asked rolling down the glasses and the cold breeze brushed my face. I looked through the window and noticed it was drizzling.

And nestled in the woodland was a heavily lighted and guarded mansion. The mansion was all concrete  with tall glass windows with an ancient architectural style. It had a large formal garden and looked like a countryside.

"Let's get off." Mew said opening the door on his side.

"Wait...where are we?"

"We're home now". He said and went out of the car as one of the men standing by the gate quickly covered him with an umbrella.

I kept looking at the scene hoping to make some sense. A part of my brain wanted to accept the reality because Mew was supposed to be an underground businessman, doing illegal activities and hence he is expected to have amassed a lot of wealth. But a part of my brain couldn't accept the fact that this was the same Mew who used to live in the poor suburbs  with a roomate who hated me for no reason.

Everything I knew about him is a lie. My heart sunk in conclusion. The little hope I carried in my innermost conscience that, perhaps, Mew was a mistaken identity - all disappeared into thin air as I observed all those men guarding the mansion greet him while one of them quickly stood beside him holding an umbrella. He looked powerful, intimidating and majestic.

"Aren't you coming?" He shouted turning at me.

Get your shit together, Gulf.  "Coming!" I quickly ran out of the car and stood beside him under the umbrella. "It's achingly cold" I said grabbing his arms and held it tightly against my chest. I only wanted to pretend that I was still the useless kid he had left me behind.