25 - Don't let me down.

Vanessa - 🌻

I arrived at the fancy restaurant just on time, fresh and dressed, ready to socialize with my parents close friends. Business partners, I should say, but that's not what they call them.

"Have they been shipped yet?" Mr Kars asks my father, expression stern and serious. I ignore the confusion that hits me, deciding that there was no point trying to understand anything about what my parents discussed with Mr and Mrs Kars.

Why was he so serious about a shipment of fucking papers? I had no idea.

I tune off on the conversation just as their son, Blake Kars, a boy my age that I'd met only a few times before, speaks to me.

"So, Vanessa, what college are you planning on going to?" Blake questions, cutting into his big plate of waffles. The guy has eaten so much since he got here I'm surprised he's not the size of this table.

"Actually, I'm not going to college." I replied, plastering a polite smile onto my face.

The guy looks dumbfounded and confused. "You're not going to college?" He repeats.

"Uh yeah, that's what I said." I can't help but pace my tone with venomous sarcasm. I don't like this guys, he gives me bad vibes.

Blake narrows his eyes at me. "How do you expect to join the business then? Have you even trained for it?"

I scoff. "Dude, you make it sound like I'm about to join a cult for fucks sake. No I haven't. Now stop prying into my business." I snapped. "Also, you got a bit of syrup on your chin."

He rushed to wipe his chin and I chuckled, rolling my eyes. What a dweeb.

"You're not a very nice girl Vanessa." Blake says, shaking his head irritatedly. He shovels more waffles into his mouth and chews angrily.

"I'm sorry," I say, feigning regret. "I don't remember asking for your opinion on me, Blake." He sneers as I smirk, leaning back in my seat happily.

"What are you two bickering about?" My mother focused on me and the demon boy across from me.

"Not bickering, just discussing." I reply in the sweetest voice I could muster. I smile at Blake, "isn't that right Blakey?"

"Blakey?" Vivian arched a brow suspiciously.

I nod my head eagerly. "Yup, me and Blakey here have formed a very tight bond. We're almost besties." I smiled at him excitedly to which he tries to hide his sneer.

He agrees nonetheless, forcing a tight smile. That's right bitch, heel.

"Well, what have we been discussing?" Mrs Kars grins as if she's excited that we've formed a special bond.

Blake clears his throat. "We were just discussing why Nessy here isn't attending college."

"Nessy?" My older sister gaped at me.

"She's not going to college?" Mrs Kars and Mr Kars shoot a disapproving look at my parents.

The fuck?

"Of course she is." My father speaks up with a tight smile. To my fucking surprise. "Sarcasm is Vanessa's second language, she was only joking of course. Isn't that right my love?"

Swallowing down my irritation and confusion, I laugh. "Of course!" I gush through gritted teeth. "I honestly cannot wait!"

Blake shoots me a death glare and I simply glare back. Then the elders start discussing things again, and I'm stuck thinking of ways to explode at my father without yelling, cussing or being disrespectful.