CHAPTER 25

Callahan was busy preparing for war. With coming up with strategies to calculating provisions for the people after the battle will end. The King of Caris was not able to sleep even a single wink. He rested in the sofa for awhile before going back to work.

“It’s a futile effort trying to hide your presence”, Callahan said eventhough he was the only one in the room.

“If you don’t come out now, I will be the one to drag you out myself”, Callahan declared again. As he didn’t have the patience to wait any longer, Callahan released tremendous pressure that crushes the lungs of anyone who’s nearby. The shadow near the lamp began to distort and a child appeared.

“Oh! You’re from that clan, huh? You’re too young to take up such a job. So, I presume that you’re here to assassinate me? Let me guess, the employer is still some noble who’s dissatisfied with my reign. They’re getting bolder and bolder each day”, Callahan gave a heavy sigh. The boy just stood there with an empty eyes.

“But you’re underestimating me, boy. You think you can defeat me just because I haven’t slept for days?”, Callahan released yet again an even stronger bloodlust that could make anyone faint.

“No”, the boy answered without hesitation. Callahan was flabbergasted with the boy’s clear-cut answer that he unknowingly withdrew the mana he emitted and laughed afterwards.

“You’re quite honest for an assassin, boy. Is this your first time?”, Callahan was curious of the boy infront of him.

“No, I killed many”, the child responded without changing his expression.

“Ohh? So why don't you try and kill me now?”, Callahan was perplexed.

“Because I can’t. I might die. I’m not suicidal”, the boy still answered the king without hesitation. Callahan laughed again.

“I like your honesty, boy. Would you like to sit down and have some cookies?”, the King offered. The boy sat across the king and started munching with the treats.

“What’s your name, child?”, Callahan tried to ask.

“Nero”, the boy answered while still eating all the sweets.

“You really don’t hesitate, do you? What are you going to do now if you fail to assassinate me?”, the King was worried for the child.

“I won’t return”, Nero answered.

“So you’re going to persistently try to assassinate me until you succeed?”, Callahan chuckled.

“No. That’s too bothersome”, Nero replied.

“I’m not sure I get you, Nero. You’re an assassin but you won't do your job. Are you trying to let my guard down? Tell me, what is it that you desire?”, Callahan questioned the boy.

“You sound like the devil”, Nero said sarcastically.

“HAHAHAHAHAHA. And you sound like you have seen him. You really are an amusing kid. Tell you what, I’ll hire you as a protector of my family in exchange for a peaceful life. Of course, the expenses will be mine to shoulder”, Callahan winked at the kid.

“What if I try to assassinate your family instead?”, Nero brushed the crumbs off his shirt.

“Well, considering the strength of my wife who's always with the children. All I can say is, good luck with that”, Callahan smirked.

“You’re pretty confident. What if I target the baby?”, Nero took the cup of tea but was disgusted with its taste.

“I’ll make sure to chase you to the depths of hell”, Callahan grinned while giving off an ominous aura.

“Then I’ll make sure not to do that”, Nero just stared at him.

The boy had enough with the demands of the clan. Being the heir of a notorious assassination clan was never a laughing matter. To put a high demand on a small boy, Nero wanted to run away as soon as possible. Although he was beyond exceptional as the heir, all he wanted was to live a life where he makes his own decision. Running away was a huge gamble for the child. If he could break free from the grasp of his family, he needs someone powerful enough to rely on. Not because he cannot deal with those assassins sent by his family if ever he would betray them, but because he wanted an easy way out.

The day came where an employer paid a huge amount for the assassination of the King. The King was known to be the most powerful demon throughout the continent. Information soon arrived that the King was too busy in preparation for the war. The opposing faction took advantage of it to assassinate him. Thus, Nero volunteered. Though small as he look, he was more capable enough to massacre an entire army.

“You’re a rare species of an assassin”, Callahan laughed.

“I’m not a beast”, Nero knitted his eyebrows.

“I never did. Ahhh, let’s go. I need to show you something”, Callahan stood up and went outside the room. Nero followed him and walked side by side. As soon as the King’s aides saw the boy, they emitted bloodlust towards him but he shove it anyway. He didn’t mind the awful stares of the people in the castle. They knew that Nero was an intruder. A boy who suddenly appeared on the King's side was surely an unwelcomed guest considering that the King never left the castle. They soon arrived in a warm room where a woman holding a baby was resting in the bed.

“My little darliiiiinnggg ~~~ Papa is heeerree”, the terrifying brawly man before was no where to be found. Instead, Nero can only see a disturbing scene of a big man doting on his daughter. Who would have thought that this King that could make anyone faint with just his presence was making an awful disgusting baby noise unfit for his appearance.

“Shuuusshhh, dear. You’ll wake her up”, Nera silenced him.

“Ohh. This is Nero, by the way. He’s going to protect you and the baby from now on”, Callahan introduced him to his wife.

“You really do have a habit of dragging people without asking their opinion”, Nera sighed.

“Don’t worry. Nero accepted”, Callahan laughed. Nera looked at the boy for inquiries. Nero shook his head instead.

“What? I thought you agreed?”, the King was surprised.

“Sorry about that Nero. So, why is a young assassin here of all places?”, Nera just smiled. The child was partly shock with what the Queen said.

“Ohhh! You’re wondering why I know despite seeing you for the first time? That’s because I couldn’t here your footsteps. Everyone has a rhythm, but yours are faint”, Nera half smiled.