CHAPTER 30

Elin listened attentively while Nero unveiled the truth. Every detail seemed like an event that came out from a novel. A scenario that is too tragic to fathom.

Nero paused for awhile as he noticed that the princess’s expression became melancholic. Her embodiment of dismay was understandable since she was living a life that wasn’t supposed to be hers.

“Princess?~~~”, Nero tried to get her attention but she stopped him from speaking any further.

The Royal family was even more worried that Elin was silent the whole time. They would prefer that she cried out all her sorrows and not bury it deep within her heart.

Elin stood up after a few moments. She stared at her family and slightly bowed before them.

“I am thankful for everything that you have done. I am also happy that you are my real family but all of these,  still, I cannot fully grasp at the moment. Please give me some time to take it all in”, Elin just stared at the floor unable to look at them straight into their eyes. She was afraid that they might be disappointed of her weak mind. However, Nera lightly touched her daughter’s shoulder and hugged her gently.

“You can take your time, muffin. We will always be here waiting”, she kissed Elin’s forehead before letting go. The princess half-smiled before turning her back on them.

“Nero. To the forest, please”, she looked back at them one last time before leaving. They arrived immediately outside the cottage and Elin just stood there not opening the door to the inside.

“I want to be alone just for today, Nero”, Elin told him with a soft spoken voice. He nodded without any more questions nor argue with her being alone at the cottage. He left her while putting up a barrier around their small hideout to repel any intruders.

Instead of going inside, she laid down on the grassy field. The coldness of the air slightly caressed her pale skin.

“Am I not dreaming? If I was, I hope I won’t wake up ever again”, Elin closed her eyes and contemplated the stories she heard awhile ago. The events that she experienced at the dukedom seemed like a nightmare that disappeared as soon as she woke up. The burden that she have been carrying all this time was vanishing slowly. She spread her arms on the ground releasing a chilling mana that made every dew drops turn into ice. It spread across the area in a flash and a loud thud was heard around the bush a few meters away from the field.

“That’s one heck of an ice”, Leo emerged from the bush where the noise came from. He slowly approached the princess who was indifferent with his presence.

“Greetings, Your Majesty! The flower of the Empire”, Leo bowed to Elin but she just scowled at him. He snickered as he laid beside her.

“I knew you were related to the King but I never thought that you are his daughter”, Leo comfortably stared at the shimmering stars.

“The fighting style you used in hand-to-hand combat are just like His Highness. The only people who knew about such technique are his children”, Leo took a glimpse of Elin. He waited for her to talk back but she just continued to relax while looking above.

“You know, after you were gone, they didn’t rest even a single day. All of the people kept searching for their beloved princess. Their anger fumed even more towards those people who dared target them. It was a blood bath actually. After clearing all the corrupt nobles with ulterior motives against the Royal family, they chose their vassals, regardless of the status, to govern the empty fiefs. Can you believe it? We were just a commoner but the King entrusted my father the role of a Duke”, Leo sighed as he reminisced the past. He kept on babbling in hopes that the princess will let her guard down.

“Are you mad at your family? Please forgive them”, he couldn’t suppress his thoughts any longer. Elin didn’t answer his question. She just closed her eyes as if she was at peace.

“I’m not---

----angry at them”, the princess finally answered him.

“Then why are you still here?”, Leo was perplexed with the current situation.

“I just can’t believe that I’m going to be with my real family now. My wishful thinking from before finally came true. Wishing that they are my real family. Who would have thought that they trully are? You have no idea how elated I am right now”, Elin smiled softly as she opened her eyes.

“So what are you going to do now? I know you have been seeking revenge”, Leo sat up feeling relieved of what Elin said. She looked at him sideways looking baffled.

“Don’t look at me like that! I have been investigating quite a long time now. Your patterns are quite obvious”, he shrugged his shoulders.

“I’m going home obviously but it doesn’t mean that I’m going to abandon my years of plan just like that. The only difference now is the redirection of my wrath. Instead of seeking revenge at those incompetent, good-for-nothing, worthless rulers of the Dukedom, I need to find the last missing puzzle”, Elin stood up and brushed the small leaves sticking on her clothes.

“You really love suspense, aren’t you? I’m dying to know about that last piece you’re talking about”, Leo followed suit.

“And here I thought you already knew what I’m inferring to. So much for being a good detective”, Elin shrugged her shoulders. Leo just chuckled at the site of the Lady taking a sweet small payback against him.

“What I’m trying to say is I’m going to take my revenge against that person who was the source of all this mishaps”, the princess walked back together with Leo to the town where her family was still waiting.

“The one who call himself as Cain”, Elin smirked at the thought of smashing his head for good. They both continued to have small talks when they finally reached the guild. Leo opened the door for her and Elin slowly took a peek.

Her family, together with their most trusted castle workers looked back at her. She slowly slid in and stood at the doorway fidgeting.

“I’m home”, Elin shyly smiled at them. Her family started running towards her. They hugged her with all their might.

“Welcome home, muffin”, Callahan gently smiled at her daughter. Nera was in tears that her youngest is finally within her arms.

Callahan noticed that Leo was with her when she arrived. The King stared at him intently while looking at him from head to toe.

“I’m not going to give her to you”, he squinted his eyes giving off deadly aura as a warning. Leo was awfully dumbfounded of what he just heard. He tittered at the sight of a doting father.

P. S.
Thank you for reading my novel. Happy 1k+ votes everyone.°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖° This made me so happy. I'm also having fun reading the comments section.(っ˘ω˘ς )