Chapter 41

The crown prince stared blankly outside as he tried to calm himself down. No one can be trusted right now even if he is a friend. He was not even sure who to put his trust knowing that people try to kill him for the crown. Being skeptical even on his own fiancee should be part of it but using Elin for his own benefit made him feel guilty again.

Saying sorry to her was not the end of it. Eventually, he had to use her again.

The prince was only nice to Elin because he felt sorry for the princess being abandoned by her own fiance in this lonely castle. But after some time, he saw his own reflection in the eyes of the oppressed. A crown prince who abandons those who need him. Someone who clearly has power is turning a blind eye to injustice. Eventually, he had to take sides because neutrality was never an answer to begin with. Staying silent and watching from the sidelines is in itself an act of oppression.

When did it start?
When did his brother became such a scum?
When did he, the crown prince, became such a powerless fool?
Why was the King okay of everything?
When did it all start?

Endless questions kept spinning on his head. Edric tried to gather his thought but it was such a futile effort.

The crown prince just sigh heavily. His gaze went back to his desk. Elin accepted his apology but his guild was still there. Doing the right thing from now on was only part of his selfish act. It was never beciase of being righteous, it was because he wanted to get rid of his guilt. However, this first step could help him become a proper prince afterall.

Edric watched silently as people were busy preparing for the banquet tomorrow. Everyone was invited to witness the announcement of the engagement between Prince Ansel and his fiancee, Lilith. People already forgot what happened to the previous fiance. Wll, they do still remember but being occupied by someone insignificant will not raise their status. Their greed knows no boundaries.

"Are there any problems encountered?", Ansel asked his aide.

"Everything's going smoothly, Your highness. I made sure that everyone will attend. Furthermore, the soldiers of Cecilia are ready to invade", Seth assured the prince.

"Good. Good. A little more and everything will be mine. I'll make sure that this event will go down with history", the prince tried to suppress his excitement.

****

Elin, together with Nero and Leo, went back to the forest of Rever to see Aurora. They had to ask for a different type of ornament to change the men's appearances.

"Why are you changing the earrings? They're perfectly fine", Aurora was baffled

"They want a different one, something indiscernible", Elin gave an akward smile

"But this is already too small to be seen?",  the witch was still confused

"Look lady, we just want a different kind of ornament", Leo was beginning to get vexed

"Don't you want a couple's earrings?", Aurora giggled as she was referring to both men

"As much as I want a partner, I would want a different one. Not this poker-faced monster", Leo scratched his head

"If it's okay with you, My Lady, we would like something different like a brooch or a ring so as to not stand out that much. People do not usually use only one earring nowadays", Nero gave his usual business-like smile

"Ahhhh. Okay. I'll give both of you wedding rings instead", Aurora laughed after Leo try to get the earrings back instead.

"This Lady!", Leo sighed heavily as Aurora hurriedly went inside to search for a plain slender rings while laughing.

"You don't want one?", Aurora handed them their rings

"No, I'm fine. This face should be known",  the princess smirked

"Alright. Then, be careful on your mission", she waved them goodbye

Elin didn't bother asking Aurora. The witch must have known everything from the start. She was an oracle who can see the most distant future. Elin even wanted to ask the result of this quest but knowing the future won't make this task as thrilling as possible so she let it be. They eventually went back to prepare for the ball after securing their needs.

****

As soon as the last sunlight touched the palace's door, it opened slowly revealing magnificent ornaments complimenting the intricate carvings of each side of the palace. The guests were welcomed one by one proclaiming their honor and lineage. Shimmering gold adorned in every carriage reflected through the fountain's water as the moon began to shower its light. Different aristocrats came out of the carriages with gowns and suits embellished with embroideries and jewels. Every family from the Duke to the Count did not miss the chance to attend this glorious event. It was a time to mingle and make connections with other people.

"Where's my father?", Ansel kept looking down the window as the nobles faintly whisper their thoughts.

"He's done preparing", Seth reported

"Make sure he looks fine infront of the crowd. What about my brother?"

"He's almost done preparing", Seth continued

"Good --- I don't want him to miss this JOYOUS event", the prince grinned as he continued looking down the window.

"My fiancee is already here. Bring her here and make sure no one's looking. I don't want to spoil our big surprise for the audience"

Lilith was escorted by Seth as soon as she set foot at the palace. She didn't bother asking about the prince's whereabouts. She had this uncomfortable feeling awhile ago. It wasn't just your regular nervousness. It was something else

--- something indescribable. Her guts was telling her to leave or she might experience something horrendous.

Lilith couldn't back out now. She already arrived at the Prince's office without anyone noticing.

"You look absolutely stunning", Ansel greeted her with a kiss at the back of her hand

"Something wrong? You seemed nervous", the prince asked a concerning question. Lilith just shook her head with out saying anything.

"It's okay to feel nervous. I'm right here. I promise I won't leave your side", Ansel took her hand for reassurance.

'That puny crown of yours will be nothing', the prince thought as he glanced at the crown prince.

'I will definitely erase that smug of yours. I WILL HAVE THE LAST LAUGH', Ansel resumed as they slowly went down the stairs.

Trumpets were heard as the royalties arrived. They went down the stairs after the court herald announced their names. The nobles began to bow down as soon as they saw them.

"Smile, DARLING! We're the stars of the night", Ansel whispered as he held Lilith's hand tightly.

P.S
Hello my beautiful readers!
☆ ~('▽^人)
I'm sorry for leaving you again.
It's been how many months already. Maybe a year? Oops.
(*_ _)人
Life has been busy lately and I forgot that this novel existed
Are you still there, my supportive readers?(ಥ﹏ಥ)