seventeen

Prepare your tissues.
-author.

Junhui couldn't even tell that Daoxi was just standing a few feet away from where he sat. To make it up from his absence in the hospital, he took in the burden of all the paper works of their family business and the occasional virtual meetings. His whole attention was fully invested on the work and on the recent rising problem.

"Pass it to the other surgeons. I will tell you when I can operate again."

Even when he moved his work at their house, Daoxi felt that something has came between them, setting them apart. The bed wasn't warm anymore. The home became different. They were becoming strangers at their own house.

His unwavering attention did not cover what it needed most.

"You don't need to stay with me. I feel fine." She placed the cup of tea on the available spot of his work desk.

Anxiety and guilt grew on his brain that he couldn't even stare at her. The appearance of Xai has shaken his composure and his plans for Daoxi. He lived for the moment of peace where his sins were forgotten. He was selfish for hoping that it would stay like that forever.

"We don't know when your memories will come back." For Jun, nothing was scarier than she came back to her senses and decided to leave him.

Why wouldn't he try to say it? He should be the one to open it.

He realized that if he opened that topic as of the moment, he has to tell everything from the start. It was tiresome and painful and he couldn't tell how she would react. Daoxi was betrayed.

"You don't need to neglect your duty as a doctor over my memories." Daoxi assured him. They didn't need to fuss about her condition.

"Just-" He sighed. "Let me stay with you until things get better."

"But I am better." She insisted. He was treating her like some sick woman who was on her death bed.

"Daoxi!" He hit the table. "Please! Am I bothering you when I work from home?"

She didn't flinch nor look away.

She got scolded again when she was only trying to give him an assurance. Little did he knew, the fear from his heart was guiding him to the door that he never wanted to open.

"No... I'm sorry. Call me when you need everything."

------------------

Days passed and they never get better. He was still busy and tensed, dismissing her when she tried to tend him.

The sun was tempting that day. It was a nice day to stroll in the park, wearing some sleeveless dress. Maybe, she could ask him to hold her hand. Then, he could join her on doing the groceries. A time by themselves might help Jun to loosen up.

"I'm going out, Jun!"

"No. You are not allowed to step out of this house without me." He informed her using a firm tone.

But Daoxi was prepared for this kind of reaction.

"Then, can you please go out with me?" She made her eyes look softer and it helped her to stop him from working.

Jun leaned his back on the chair. He was weighing what he should do next. He sure believed that he was neglecting his wife and this was the perfect time to get back to her.

He pulled her into his lap and gazed on her eyes. If he had to neglect her for awhile just to have her for the rest of his life, he would. The risk of Xai appearing and exploding would guarantee that it would taint their relationship.